Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling

Water cool's better than coolant correct?

So why not use all water and no coolant in summer?

People do this. It's okay for summertime use, but it's best to go 50/50 when it starts getting cold. Coolant helps prevent rust throughout the radiator & also won't freeze as quickly as water does.
    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Yes, people do this. I personally find that 30% antifreeze is PLENTY for the summer for waterpump lubrication and rust/galvonic corrosion prevention. Then for winter i usually swapped it back to 50/50 (good to 0degF).

If you want to run pure water, add in a bottle or two of the redline water wetter if nothing else so that you don't incur any corrosion from it. I have actually seen "racing coolants" that are supposed to run cooler than water - but I don't believe it :D Pure flowing water is the best conductor of heat around, its like liquid aluminum... Seriously though, if you want lower temps and you're running a 160 already - go buy a larger radiator (SLP, Griffin, BeCool).
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I was just asking out of spite. I dont tend to run 100% water. But my friend seems to think 50/50 coolant will run cooler than 25%coolant/75%water. Or 100% water. I told him he was full of the brown stuff and didnt know his head from that dark spot in his underpants.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
          I was just asking out of spite. I dont tend to run 100% water. But my friend seems to think 50/50 coolant will run cooler than 25%coolant/75%water. Or 100% water. I told him he was full of the brown stuff and didnt know his head from that dark spot in his underpants.<hr></blockquote>

You're quite correct [img]smile.gif[/img]
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X