Still misfiring... so it seems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still misfiring... so it seems

My 98 (39k miles) Camaro has been misfiring (i think) for a while. It has done this once before, I changed just one plug and wire... GONE! But it has come back not as harsh, and this time without a SES light coming on at all. I have searched the site for different opinions, but i need to know exactly in my case. Oh yeah, my car always has a lot of unburned gas for the exhaust... stock exhaust. So what do you think it is?? Is it the ICM, injectors, wires, coils??? thaks a lot.

well if you only replaced one plug and wired and it was only on the cylinder that was throwing the code, i would probably lean towards the fact the the other plugs and or wires are going bad on the other five cylinders... i would probably do it all, plugs and wires on all the cylinders... thats where i would start anyways
    1999 Firebird 3800 5 speed stock<br />1991 Camaro Convertible 3.1 auto stock

Comment

I saw a camaro "99" the other day with a bad missfire, the guy said it was not aways, just sometimes, sometimes bad, sometimes not so bad. Turns out the computer was bad and not always firing the fuel injector.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

take it to a gm dealer and have them test it with a tech2 in the missfire section, that will tell you wich cyclendar thats the trouble maker. My dad is a gm tech, I had the same problem, turns out it was the back left spark plug and wire that was the cause, also clean all of the coil pack connectors up top to stock arcing.
        255/50R16 Tires, Pioneer Deck, Pioneer 4 Way speakers, PPI Amps, JL subs, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, Optima Yellow Top

Comment

Are they going to charge me a lot of $$$??? Because I dont know if i should bring it to a local shop... bringing it to a dealer seems super expensive.

Comment

ohh yeah, and its running rich... so does it mean that there isnt a good enough spark?? thanks.

Comment

it means there is too much unburned fuel. could be a spark problem or just too much fuel. you can take it to a dealer and have them diagnoise it for around .3hr charge.
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

How do you know its rich? Theres no way to be sure it is unless you have a wideband oxygen sensor.
                I went to Harbor Freight (yeah, i know its cheap chinese stuff). I bought a spark plug/fuel injector checker for like $5. Its really easy to use.
                2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X