how to change my spark plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to change my spark plugs?

im havein seroius hesitation over here and im gonna start with changing my spark plugs. i changed the fuel filter. that did nuthin. soo i figure next go to the spark plugs. after the temp guage gets haf way my engine will bogg and shake and doo terrible things soo uhh i dunno whats wrong [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] help me plleease [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] the dealer wants 115 labor :mad: . soo i think ill try to do it myself. has any one had anybody else do it? how much did it cost?
    I pledge aliegence to the flag that sits on the front facia of my camaro and to the Mickey Thompsons that make it stand two tires under torque indivisable

they really shouldnt be all that bad on the 3.4 since its a 60deg engine. i've never done plugs on a 3.4 that was longitudinally mounted, only on FWD with 3.4. remember that cyl numbers on the 60deg v6's are opposite of the 90deg v6's and v8's. one plug at a time, one wire at a time, and you'll be fine.

for the 3.8, front 2 from the top, the other 4 from the bottom.
    spark plug socket has a hex end so you can use a wrench on it in tight quarters.

always let the engine cool before changing plugs. i know that both 6-bangers use cast heads and that letting an aluminum head cool is much more important, it is still important to not try to pull the plugs from a hot engine.

just a few tips. hope it helps...
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

A 3.4 isn't bad, a little bending and stretching, but you can get everything from up top, and using a ratchet, although having a combination wrench handy probably wouldn't hurt. And, yeah, like tsrange_trp said, the the cylinder numbering is a bit backwards, if I remember correctly: The evens are on the driver side, and the odds are on the passenger side, but they still number front to rear (driver: 2,4,6 passenger: 1,3,5).
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

From a fellow 3.4 owner:
        Try to find one of those "stuby" rachets where the handle is about half as long as a normal rachet and buy a universal jont. Start with the passenger side plugs because they are the hardest. The two towards the back of the engine are where you will need the stuby.
        I then change the drivers side because they are much easier. (Especially with the banged knuckles and large band-aids.)
        Be sure to put some "anti-sieze" lubricant on the threads of the plug,(don't get any on the electrode) and put some grease on the inside of the spark plug boot before putting it on the plug. Not any grease,I forget the proper name, but this grease aids in the removal of the boot later and helps prevents arching. Ask the parts store for this stuff. (about $2.00 for a tube.)

just some pointers
        Dr Todd

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dr Todd:
          and put some grease on the inside of the spark plug boot before putting it on the plug. Not any grease,I forget the proper name, <hr></blockquote>

dielectric
          ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

wHat they said, its pretty simple, just you will need to learn yourself the best way to do it.

I have 2 10 in. extenders and a universal joint, makes working easier.

good luck.

Comment

Piece of cake! [img]smile.gif[/img]
              Install guide bellow:
              http://eyeoutthere.tripod.com/plugs_how_to.htm

You may also want to check the wires going to your EGR valve (that thing on the passenger side exhaust manifold). I have seen a couple cases in the 3.4L where the wires rest against a hot exhaust component and melt, or char and crack. This could cause your car to do crazy things when it warms up.

But change your plugs anyway.
              <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X