Top speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SmokeyinSWF:
    Ohh btw i think my car is from Canada [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Yes it is. And so is mine, and everyone else's. [img]tongue.gif[/img] ;)
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Without a Hypertech Power Programmer available for the 1998 Camaro V6. Is there a way to disable the govenor?
      <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ender2664:
        So, anyone with a stock v6 m5 and no cut off know exactly how fast the car is capable, and how much more top speed can i get out of basic bolt ons?<hr></blockquote>

top speed is prolly about 145, and basic bolt ons will get you to maybe like 155 or 160, but your tires may not, so watch that. and ive done 160 in a car before, and lemme tell you, a friggin cricket in the road feels like you hit a pothole, so watch yourself.

[QUOTE]Without a Hypertech Power Programmer available for the 1998 Camaro V6. Is there a way to disable the govenor?[QUOTE]

ive seen a resistor that you put on some wire in the car, and its supposed to do it, but i highly doubt that. you can always disconnect the V.S.S., but then your speedo wont work, and you wont know what you are at, so it isnt any fun anyway.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
          That's fuel cutoff from the speed limiter. Without the limiter, it should be somewhere up around 130.<hr></blockquote>

THE fuel cuts off at 118? I thought the spark cut out, not the fuel.

WHo knows how the rev limiter works? At 6000rpm, does it cut out fuel or spark?
          1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by malice10985:
            WHo knows how the rev limiter works? At 6000rpm, does it cut out fuel or spark?<hr></blockquote>

http://home.cfl.rr.com/mkaprocki/Cam...htm#ss8-177388

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: 98Camaro3.8 ]</p>
            Matt
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

You can get extra power and bypass the speed limiter by doing the following:

The technique involves manually shifting the auto tranny from 3 or 4 down to 1 and then back up to 3 again really fast.

The extra power adder trick is to cycle the A/C on and off at the same time. It causes the engine to momentarily gain revs (and by the way, the rev limiter and speed limiter does not catch this) which, when the car hits 3rd or 4th again, gives a boost to the power going to the rear wheels.

Of course, part of the deal is learning how to turn the A/C knob while also driving and shifting.

:D [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]</p>
              I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
              CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
              FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                Matt

Comment

Our cars can really break 140 bone stock, wow **** that is hard to belive, and with basic bolt ons you can see 150ish. Stock z28s can barely break 160!
                  2002 M5 camaro- VTR CAI, custom cat-back exhaust, battery compacitor, pullie, lowering springs, 32mm sway bar, cross-drilled slotted rotars. 1-10\" L7 in cubby.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                    Without a Hypertech Power Programmer available for the 1998 Camaro V6. Is there a way to disable the govenor?<hr></blockquote>

you have to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor, however then you wouldn't know how fast you were going unless you knew exactly what RPM was what speed
                    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

[img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

My car only sees 108 before the PCM stops me.
                      1999 Grand Prix GT<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fishsgt.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fishsgt.com</a><br /><br />Best ET: 14.94@91.25MPH with a 2.2 60\"

Comment

i did a 135, for 100 miles approx,(no police in the boonies) in a modified 2.8 v6 and she still had plenty of top end to the pedal, with the stock computer and special stage3 custom jet chip,at that speed the fence post disappears and if you ever hit a cow at that speed well you would probably desinagrate hahahaha, we use to be able to use the road between winamucca nev. and jordan oregon, its fairly flat most of the way with a couple of curves and i would drive it from la calif to see my girl in boise idaho, well you cant do it any more they now have a highway patrol officer stationed and living out there ,
                        have not had the new car 1989 camaro rs to that speed still doing mods dynoing and breaking in the engine, no computer now tho so we shall see, dont know what yours could do but all the responses sound sensible

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: elvis89fb ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bradley Palmer:
                          I hit 148 on the bottle. I have a A4 with 3.42's.<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ender2664:
                              Our cars can really break 140 bone stock, wow **** that is hard to belive, and with basic bolt ons you can see 150ish. Stock z28s can barely break 160!<hr></blockquote>
                              Back in the 80's stangs and v8 F-bodies were hitting ~150 with 200-230 Hp... I would say 150 is entirely possible in the 3.8L M5.

And when you look at 150 vs 160 you're talking about an order of magnitude in the way of drag... as you speed up the amount of power needed exponentiates... 500 Hp gets you to 170-190 in a 3000 lb car and so forth... look at the 6000 Hp dragsters hitting ~350 MPH... in a linear equation they should be hitting 2000 MPH+
                              Black \'97 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://chillcat.fortunecity.net/blahblah.html\" target=\"_blank\">See Pics</a> 3.8L, 5 Spd, Disc Rear, Hurst short shifter, MAF Screen Removed, RK Sport Headers, 3\" Cat, 3\" FM American Thunder Catback, Compcams .512/.507, (2x)275/40/17 Khumo 712(front) (2x)285/40/17 Good Year F1 GS-D3 (back).

Comment

Whats so funny 12 sec???
                                2001 Sunset Orange Camaro A4<br />Best times:<br />N/A--14.3<br />60\'--1.98<br />NOS 125--????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  5 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  3 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X