My new(used) Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new(used) Camaro

On Thursday I bought a 1997 Camaro RS 3.8 auto. I am really happy to find this forum, thinking that since I had a V6, nobody would want to talk performance with me. I already ordered a SLP induction kit from Tbyrne(I mentioned this site). I have a few initial question, if I may.
    Even though the seller said it was an RS, I don't see it anywhere on the car. It has the V6 performance options: Y87, GU6, P235/55R16 tires. Should it say RS somewhere? I saw one once that was red(like mine) and it had a raised red RS emblem on the front fenders. Was this stock? If so, does anybody know what year to order it from if I want the same?
    I am needing front and rear brake pads really soon. Is it advisable to get some hi perf parts mentioned in the tech sections or just whatever NAPA carries? While I do accelerate and decelerate quickly at times, I am hardly doing any real racing. Are there any over the counter brands that are better than others?

I look forward to reading these pages and conversing with all of you. I may even be able to offer some advice. I was an auto mechanic some years back.

Thanks

MIKE
    1997 Camaro A4, 3.8L Red T-Tops<br />Y87 pkg, 3.42 LSD<br />SLP cold air kit <br />180 Thermo<br />Alpine speakers

Welcome to the board!!! Someone might of took the RS emblem off. As long as it has a ground effects package and a 3 peice spoiler it's the RS. My car use to be an RS but whoever had it before me took off the badges and took off ground effects. Im not too sure what the GU6 code means but the Y87 means you have 3.42 gears as opposed to 3.08s and limited slip differential as opposed to open meaning you can peal both wheels. Napa should carry ceramic brakes I would recommend buying those. They should only be $80 for the front. But i've seen some at autozone for only $50. The prices might be different since we live in different states.
    Hope I could help.

Comment

Your question about the brakes I'm unsure of, I need to be getting some new brakes soon too and I'll probably go with whatever my shop suggests. On the RS issue, it should say RS on the back of the car, on the side behind the front tires, and should have ground effects. Just look at a picture of a Camaro RS, it should be obvious if it has them or not. The true way to check is to check your codes on the inside of the glove box. Just do a search for the codes on this site. There should be a specific one designating it as an RS. Hope that helps and welcome to the boards. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

The GU6 is 3.42 gears.

Y87 includes the 3.42 w/ LSD, sport steering(v8 steering), and four-wheel disc brakes.
        Mike<br /><a href=\"http://www.keithandmike.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.keithandmike.com</a><p>New:<br />2002 Camaro Z28, A4 Silver Stripper<br />lid,LT\'s,cam,stall

Comment

Thanks for the info. I see it probably isn't a "RS" after all. Since it is loaded with every option except leather, I must have assumed it was. I still like it and I only Paid $6000 which seems reasonable. I spent all day cleaning and twice waxing and polishing it. We took it out to dinner tonight and I am happy with it.
          I noticed the headlights didn't seem all that bright. I am thinking of adding higher wattage bulbs. I don't, however, want to get the whole deal with the ballast and all. Has anybody just put higher wattage halogens in? Does it work ok?

Thanks

MIKE
          1997 Camaro A4, 3.8L Red T-Tops<br />Y87 pkg, 3.42 LSD<br />SLP cold air kit <br />180 Thermo<br />Alpine speakers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X