replacing valve cover gasket, how to? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing valve cover gasket, how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing valve cover gasket, how to?

This isnt for my car, it's for my fiance's 1989 pontiac 6000 LE
    it's a 4 banger
    and it's really easy to get to
    do I basically just take it off, scrape it clean, put some kinda lube on there, then tighten it back down?
    thanks
    -Steve

Pretty much. Make sure you got it clean and even. It probably isn't aluminum, so it should hold up to a pretty hard scraping with a screwdriver/razor/putty knife or something. I used some stuff called Permatex Ultra Black silicone when I put the new gasket back on, it's supposed to be highly resistant to heat and not prone to major crustification. ;)
    \'93 3.4L Camaro A4<br />*Some fat P245/50R16 tires<br />*K&N FIPK<br />*Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro\'s<br />*Borla catback<br /><a href=\"http://www.members.cox.net/constantine/Project%20Royalty.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Royal Webpage</a>

Comment

basically what he said.

But a tip, my bro had a 2.5L 4 banger in an 89 grand am. we replaced the valve cover gasket 3-4 times, used silicone and others tuff ,and it still leaked. Talked to a mechanic who knew alot about 2.5L and said use gaskets form the deqler, we did and never had a leak.

Jsut a tip since the 2.5L "iron Duke" was very commoon in the 80s.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X