New 180 thermo not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 180 thermo not working?

Hey gang. The summers here usually get as high as low 100's and i've never had a problem with my car overheating before, but this year after installing my SLP CAI and 180 thermo, i've noticed that in the warm weather, when i'm city driving and stopping at lights, the temp rises over the 1/4 mark, and even more weird, my oil pressure guage drops below 1/2. Then when I give it gas to go again, or just rev, the oil pressure guage shoots back up to normal. If I get driving on a highway, or non-stop for a bit, the temp guage returns to normal as well.

The only other problem I think I may have is my power steering pump is on the way out.

Does any of this make sense, ring any bells?

Thanks!
    1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

sounds normal. even with a 180 stat, your electric cooling fans are really what control coolant temp. sitting in traffic or something, there is no airflow over the radiator and temps can rise. without a manual fan switch, the cooling fans don't come on till about 200 or so, so the coolant will get that hot before the fans come on to push air past radiator. to check thermostat, start cold engine. upper radiator should remain cool to the touch for a few minutes and then should suddently get hot as the thermostat opens. place a thermometer on the thermostat housing when this happens and note the temp. compare to thermostat specs.

its also normal to lose oil press while idling at a light or something when the engine is warm. no big deal, as long as the gauge is showing some pressure. also keep in mind that the instrument panel gauges are not at all accurate. they're jsut good to see relative changes in operating conditions, not absolute values.
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Cool...thanks for the reply. I dont' know much about my engine, but what I do know is when something is sounding different, or acting different.

I suppose I should see more movement in them temp guage now that it starts at a lower position. That one wasnt' worrying me so much as the oil pressure guage. It has never done this before in three years of owning the car.

When I rev, it flys up like it were a tac [img]smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, I trust your advice strange...thanks!
      cheers
      1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X