thermostat??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thermostat??????

I got a 180 degree thermostat from auto zone and haven't had time to install it, however I noticed in the technical database that it's listed that all 98-02 f-body cars came with a stock 180 degree thermostat. First off is this true or a typo? If it's true then I only paid $3 so it's not a terrible loss. Secondly if it's a typo where is the thermostat located?
    I can\'t drive 55<p><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/kotenberger/camaro.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

You might want to get a new gasket for it, too, if you decide to install it.

And I think if you look to the right of your intake, you'll see a large black hose. This is your radiator hose and where it meets the engine is the thermostat.

Edit - You will have to remove a couple bolts from the radiator hose before you actually see the thermostat, but that is where it is located.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: DrSquirts ]</p>
    www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

Yes it is a typo we have a 195* thermo stock.And u wont need a gasket, thermo tha u bought should come withe a rubber ring aroud it,that is your gasket.Oh also becarefull with the EGR tube when trying to move it out of the way, it's very delicate.Hope this help. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

Thanks, Dr. Squirts.......oh and I did buy a new gasket when I got the thermo, it was 4am when I made this post. Just forgot to mention it :D .
        So how does the 180* thermo run cooler than a 195*? Also will I have to worry about reprogramming anything or will the car be okay?
        I can\'t drive 55<p><a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/kotenberger/camaro.html\" target=\"_blank\">My Camaro</a>

Comment

Also will I have to worry about reprogramming anything or will the car be okay?

Well, yes and no. Since the thermo opens 15 dgerees sooner, as long as air is flowing over the radiator the engine will run cooler. However, sitting still the new thermo has no effect since the fans have not been reprogramed to turn on earlier to utilize the lower temp thermo. A 180 thermo should not throw any lights (SES, etc.).
          2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

With my old (probably original) thermostat, my car tended to run between 200 and 210. With the new one, it ran (when we autotapped it) about 180-185 under normal conditions (not stop and go traffic).
            www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

Okay, I'm really frustrated with this, first off I didn't know that there is a rubber seal and a gasket involved, the dork at autozone didn't say anything about this, so now I have to get a gasket and sealant tomorrow. To make things worse I just unbolted the coolant line at the intake without properly draining the fluid and ended up losing some, not a lot but some....enough to piss me off due to my stupidity. Anyway once I have all my parts how difficult is it to get the old thermo out? Do I give it a hard pull or should I slowly ease it out?

Comment

This is really easy... when my waterpump went out i went ahead and changed out the thermostat also... but the only thing i noticed was the gasket was stuck so if yours is stuck peal it off and it shall work like a champ... i used some kind of seal stuff at some auto store it's been about 6 month's now and still no problem's and my car stay's well away from 210.. and since i got my cai it's down to about 170... and it feels good... i love when my car's cool seem's like im in such a better mood...
                Old 2003 gt, Pullies, k&n air filter, tb and spacer, off road xpipe, catback exhaust accufab plenum, volant cai. quadrant clutch, cable, firewall adjuster, predator programmer and 180 thermo with 255/40/17 nittos on the back

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 9t9fb:
                  Yes it is a typo we have a 195* thermo stock.<hr></blockquote>

No, it's not. The factory parts list has two thermostats. One for 95-97 and one for 98+. I changed the Technical Database after people who owned 98+ cars complained that they had a 180. That's when I researched it and found GM has two.

Check the rating after you pull it to make sure you're putting in a lower temperature, and not the same.

Although GM lists different theromstats for different years, I wouldn't put it past them to use something different. The same problem seems to exist with people who got autos with 3.42 gears without the Y87 package.

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
                  Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X