should I run a different WT engine oil for the winter? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should I run a different WT engine oil for the winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I run a different WT engine oil for the winter?

I think I normaly put 10w30 in it but I was reading the manual and I think it said to put 5w30 in if the temp is going to be under 60degreees for a extended amount of time.
    I am in north jersey, and most of the winter weather is between 20- 40degrees.
    ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Yup, use 5W30 during the winter, 10W30 in the summer.
    16 years old with no car and big dreams...

Comment

It really does not matter. I usally just run 10w30 all year around.
      2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

there isnt enough difference between the two to make a rats a$$...i wouldnt worry about it....
        <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

5 is half as thin as 10 in cold weather allowing the cold oil to get to the engine faster in cold weather thus protecting the engine. After the engine warms up or in the summer both oils are 30w. So, just use 5w-30w. (my manual recommends 5w-30)
          Dr Todd

Comment

"5 is half as thin as 10 in cold weather"

It's not as simple as that. See:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/NewO...y_motoroil.htm

It's hard to tell exactly but from the looks of it they're fairly close - I'd just go with the manufacturer's recommendation.
            2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X