This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with 500 bucks?

i have about 500 bucks saved up and i really dunno what to buy... think about new pulgs and wires.. new cat.. anything else or anything better other than what i have?

get polyurethane bushings, and 1LE suspension components. you can do all 1LE for a little over 500
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Get a torque converter. Don't bother with a hi-flo cat. That should knock off .5sec of your et. Precision Industries seems to work very good for people. You don't even need a vigilantee. Get the cheaper one.

Comment

If I had 500 I'd get headers (that's my vote) but the others are good too... probably suspension and headers could be the last bolt on mod It's up to you
        <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

Comment

where can i get a good headers and how much would it be to have them installed?? i was thinking of them but isnt it alot more than 500?

Comment

Actually the headers are about $500 (4 something) and then you have to pay to get them installed and fixed up. I, on the other hand, am going to get a catback exhaust, high flow cat, and coated headers, then I'm going to save up a couple hundred, swallow my pride, and get EVERYTHING installed at once. You can order headers from www.thunderracing.com

Comment

If you don't already have y87, than i'd get a new rearend w/ 3.42's & lsd, then a 1le aluminum driveshaft.
              2002 Electron Blue Corvette<br />1999 Black Mazda Truck<p>AKA: Night Rider

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blac Drop Top:
                If you don't already have y87, than i'd get a new rearend w/ 3.42's & lsd, then a 1le aluminum driveshaft.<hr></blockquote>

^Better idea.^
                | |
                Better idea.

Comment

I have the simple answer Give it to me. I could use it also. I would say upgrade the suspension components.
                  &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

Headers won't give you much gain. 5hp and better sound.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
                      Blac Drop Top If you don't already have y87, than i'd get a new rearend w/ 3.42's & lsd, then a 1le aluminum driveshaft. <hr></blockquote>

what is a y 87 what does it do.. where would i get it? can i install it my slef? where would i get new rearend w/3.42's any indea price for install? also what is lsd// and 1le drive shaft what it do how much where? sorry guys im new at this im only 17 :(

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hockyman88:

what is a y 87 what does it do.. where would i get it? can i install it my slef? where would i get new rearend w/3.42's any indea price for install? also what is lsd// and 1le drive shaft what it do how much where? sorry guys im new at this im only 17 :(
                        <hr></blockquote>

Sorry about the email problem. Y87 is the performance package from the factory. Slightly better steering ratio, 3.42 axle ratio and LSD(limited slip differential-somewhat like positraction-both rear tires spinning) Check the RPO codes on the driver's side door or in the glovebox to see if you have y87 on there. If not y87 check for gu6 which is 3.42 and g80 which is lsd. You can get a rear end from the junk yard(I wouldn't) or order the lsd diff. and gears from slponline. They have a zexel-torsen takeoff differntial for around a hundred bucks. 1le driveshaft is the one-piece driveshaft. You currently have a 2-piece driveshaft. The one-piece will allow you to put more power to the ground and is somewhat safer. May or may not feel more vibration once installed. You can get it from gmpartsdirect.com I'll email you a list of 1le part numbers. Installation of lsd and gears can be anywhere from 300-500 dollars. Some people get done it cheaper.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
                        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Liquid Silver:
                          Actually the headers are about $500 (4 something) and then you have to pay to get them installed and fixed up. I, on the other hand, am going to get a catback exhaust, high flow cat, and coated headers, then I'm going to save up a couple hundred, swallow my pride, and get EVERYTHING installed at once. You can order headers from www.thunderracing.com<hr></blockquote>

ahem headers for a 98 from thunder racing? SUREEEE perhaps for your 3.4 rksport headers are worthless so are cia 5 hp gains are not worth 500+ dollars plus a 300 dollar install if you cant do it yourself.

Comment

Like a minor65 said check your glove box, or driver door side for codes. All 98 A4's came stock w/ 3.08 gears which really are great for highway driving & easy on gas mileage, but suck for acceleration. upgrading to 3.42's or 3.73's will give you much better off-the-line acceleration, since you'll run through the gears faster.

Note, a gear swap can be very costly for part's & labor i was quoted by several shops around $900. I suggest contacting www.speedautomotive.com they will ship you a used complete rearend axle from m5 v8's which come w/ 3.42's & lsd stock. for only $300. installation shouldn't be very expensive since it will bolt right on.

As for the driveshaft, check under your car you probably already a 1-piece steel driveshaft which i think became standard on autos in '98. However a 1-piece aluminum driveshaft weighs less, so many peps op for that anyway to reduce parassitic drivetrain hp loss. speedauto.com will sell you a used one for $150.

does that help?
                            2002 Electron Blue Corvette<br />1999 Black Mazda Truck<p>AKA: Night Rider

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Blac Drop Top:
                              As for the driveshaft, check under your car you probably already a 1-piece steel driveshaft which i think became standard on autos in '98.
                              does that help?
                              <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I'm supposed to get my 2.5" catback and s-pipe installed next week. I'm gonna check for sure to make sure I don't buy anything I already have. (Don't feel like crawling around under there right now. [img]smile.gif[/img] )

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
                              <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X