3.4L Coil Bolt Size ???? HELP!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4L Coil Bolt Size ???? HELP!!!!!!

I am replacing all 3 coil packs on my 3.4L. The closet socket I can find to fit on the Coil mounting bolts is a 7/32 but it is a bit too big? No Metric sizes fit? I got top two coils off but the bottom ones bolts are too tight for the 7/32 to grab onto? Anyone have this problem? If so what did you do? Looks like I can remove the power steering pump, then take off the ignition unit with the 3rd coil attached and get my vise grip on the back side bolt? But what a pain! HELP!! Thanks Gregg
    1994, 3.4, 3.23, Dark Green<br />74,000 Miles as of 05/15/02<br />Have had tons of problems but still<br />love the darn thing,,,,

Comon guys give me some help. I can't believe is been like 16 hours since I posted this help message and no one has decided to share their experience with me. Comon help this guy out! My Car is dead in the garage!!!! Thanks Gregg
    1994, 3.4, 3.23, Dark Green<br />74,000 Miles as of 05/15/02<br />Have had tons of problems but still<br />love the darn thing,,,,

Comment

Well done now and don't need help...

Comment

I think it's 5.5mm. Either that or 4.5. Maybe 5. Who knows. I guess it doesn't matter anymore!

-Brian
        Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

dude you'll be lucky to find even 2 or 3 standard size bolts on a 4th gen f-bod. its all metric now man. i very rarely ever use any standard SAE sized tools and i work on probably 10 cars a day.
          i do think it's a 1/2 size metric though. dont know why they couldn't make them 8mm. much more commonly used size. they just want to make things difficult.
          ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

1/2 sized Metrtic sounds right. I Had no idea there was suck a thing. 5.5mm would be just right. 5mm was too small and 7/32 was too big. Why the engineers chose a 5.5mm bolt is beyond reason. Life would have been a lot happier otherwsie for me yesterday. Car is running great though so all is good... Thanks for your help...

Comment

I had to buy my small wrenches seperate from my others... I couldn't find a set that went to 4mm, they all stopped at 8.

What's strange is that on the package it actually says "ignition wrenches!"

Pretty cool huh?

-Brian
              Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gregg Thompson:
                Why the engineers chose a 5.5mm bolt is beyond reason<hr></blockquote>

seems like most of the things engineers do are beyond reason. its crazy the way they put some of this stuff together. ever try to change an inner tie rod rack bushing on a late-model chrysler? there's some quality engineering for ya. i swear, these things were designed to be put together at the factory and for some reason these "brilliant" engineers forgot that these cars may have to be serviced at some point in time. i'm telling ya, to be so smart, engineers sure are dumb.
                ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> i'm telling ya, to be so smart, engineers sure are dumb.
                  <hr></blockquote>
                  YEY...........Amen....Amen
                  What about the engineer who put the 3.4 oil filter 1/2" away from the header pipe so you can't get your hands on the filter without getting a 3rd degree burn. And these engineers should be forced to change spark plugs in every engine they design so they know what it is like for a "shade tree" mechanic with standard tools. OH....Oh....and what about the stupid fuel pump........in the tank.....with NO access but to drop the muffler system, rear axle and fuel tank.........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARG. Why can't they take a lesson from Subaru and put a simple pump access under the rear seat. NOW I am ALL wound up. And what about that stupid engineer who.......who........wait a minute......I am an engineer. Opps.......oh well we are not all bad...........no we are not......come on give me a break. Friends? Cool.

Love my Camaro.
                  Dr Todd

Comment

^ LOL... yeah, still friends... for now

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X