No announcement yet.

Small mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you mean remove the MAF sensor screen? What exactly will this do? How will it suck in more air? If if you do this, how will the computer react to this?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by magic1872:
    I would do the following things and the best part is they are all FREE!!!!

1)Remove your Mass Air Flow Sensor Screen, it will allow your engine to suck 180 more cubic feet per minute of air.

2)Free Ram Air Mod (WWW.installuniversity.com)

3)K&N Filter

4)Custome Cold Air Intake (Not really cold)

If you got any questions, just email me and I'll be able to send you some pics if you need them.
    Magic1872@aol.com

If you do those mods I think you will see a difference, I did
    <hr></blockquote>

Comment

I have been wondering about this too...

i think its the thing at the front of the engine. it's like a screen that covers up the hole so i guess it filters out some more dust or something, or it just restricts more air... it's like a metal screen that u can just take off. I dunno how comp. reacts to it tho. i doubt it will bring the ses light on...

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Red V6 Raider:
        I wouldn't get a new grill. Just yank the old one off. Looks much better to me.<hr></blockquote>

pfff.....take a look at my car

;) 120$ from stull.....in my sig ;)

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dekay:
          What do you mean remove the MAF sensor screen? What exactly will this do? How will it suck in more air? If if you do this, how will the computer react to this? <hr></blockquote>

Good questions. I'm not going to get into the how-to part of it yet...

The screen fits in the opening of the throttle body. It actually looks like a miniature honeycomb, a bunch of tiny openings. The screen is probably about 1/8" thick, not thin like window screen. So each of the openings is actually a small tube.

It's purpose in life is to straighten out the airflow going into your throttle body. The reason the air flow needs to be straight, is because you have these 2 little heated wires hanging down inside, from the top of the throttle body, that measure how much air is flowing into the engine. (the maf sensor - mass air flow)

The maf sensor tells the computer how much air is going into the engine. So the computer can send the correct amount of fuel to go with it, and manage the ignition timing, and other stuff that these computers do. Well, anyway, unless the air is straightened out some, the wires don't read the airflow correctly. (they cool off a certain amount, the more air that flows over them)

But the screen does restrict the airflow a little bit. So people take it out. On some cars, it doesn't hurt. On some, it causes the car to surge and carry on at idle, because the maf readings are not accurate anymore.

'99 and up seem to be ok, from what people have posted on here. '98 is questionable (mixed results). Below '98 most people put it back in. (not a scientific count, just my observation, from memory, over the past couple of months)
          \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X