New LT1 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slow:
    sorry to say, the LT4 is not a more cost effective swap.

with a lt1/ls1 you can buy a donor car.

for a LT4 swap, you need either a donor car, or new parts.

that setup will cost a lot more, than just buying one car, and stripping/swapping into your car.

.. if you want a BAD @$$ LT1 setup, a friend is selling his wrecked 96 SS, linked here:

http://www.fuelslut.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1377

Ryan.
    <hr></blockquote>

I know he's looking to sell the car as a whole, but if he's willing to sell me basically the engine and everything attached to it back to the rear end I'd be very interested.
    95 3.4 A4<br /><b>Performance:</b> SLP CAI, Flowmaster 80-Series Exhaust, Catco High-Flow Cat, ADS Performance Chip, 160* Thermostat, TB-Bypass<br /><b>Appearance:</b> 35th Ann. Stripes, SS hood, Wings West W-type bodykit, Wings West wing, 17\" Chrome Firehawk rims, Chrome Inserts, Clear Corners, Decals<br /><b>Audio:</b>2 12\" Audiobahn Subs, 1400watt Audiobahn amp, Streetwires, Subthump custom box, Audiobahn door speakers, JVC headunit<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/photo/86905013/106283184LzOzZC\" target=\"_blank\">New Pic</a>

Comment

Magnus put an LS1 in his 97, I'm sure he would help you out a little on how to get it to fit.

If you are wanting to do any motor work, have you considered maybe an LS6? Thats what my dad and I have been thinking about putting in my car, because the block is beefier and guys put a large bore in them. They can do high 10s N/A... my kind of car [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
        Magnus put an LS1 in his 97, I'm sure he would help you out a little on how to get it to fit.

If you are wanting to do any motor work, have you considered maybe an LS6? Thats what my dad and I have been thinking about putting in my car, because the block is beefier and guys put a large bore in them. They can do high 10s N/A... my kind of car [img]smile.gif[/img]
        <hr></blockquote>

you can't overbore a ls6 any more than a ls1, both require resleeves.

not cheap at all.

Ryan.
        1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

your better off buying the whole car, swapping over everything you need, and selling the other parts.

also, when you take it apart, better chance of putting it all back together right, and if you need a part, its normally on the donor car to get it from.

If i was doing a swap, i would have a donor car, unless i was rich, and was doing it at a chevy dealer, with a awesome parts department.

Ryan.
          1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

My dad is fairly interested in your friends SS. He wants a little more info about the car, i.e. mileage, what modifications he's done to his car, etc. You can either respond on here or email me. Thanks
            95 3.4 A4<br /><b>Performance:</b> SLP CAI, Flowmaster 80-Series Exhaust, Catco High-Flow Cat, ADS Performance Chip, 160* Thermostat, TB-Bypass<br /><b>Appearance:</b> 35th Ann. Stripes, SS hood, Wings West W-type bodykit, Wings West wing, 17\" Chrome Firehawk rims, Chrome Inserts, Clear Corners, Decals<br /><b>Audio:</b>2 12\" Audiobahn Subs, 1400watt Audiobahn amp, Streetwires, Subthump custom box, Audiobahn door speakers, JVC headunit<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/photo/86905013/106283184LzOzZC\" target=\"_blank\">New Pic</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by slow:

you can't overbore a ls6 any more than a ls1, both require resleeves.

not cheap at all.

Ryan.
              <hr></blockquote>

Actually it depends on what generation of LS6 you're talking about. An older LS6 from the 70's could be overbored because it is an iron block. I don't think that's the LS6 he wants to put in his car because it would be carbureted, but it would be a monster engine.
              1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 95Batmobile:

<hr></blockquote>
                The LS-6 block and LS-1 blocks are identical other than the bottom of the LS-6 block is flat, and the LS-1 block is concave. You can make a 427 out of either one of the engines. It requires and extensive overbore and resleeve. Plus all of the other parts needed to build a stroker engine.
                2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MississippiMaro:

Actually it depends on what generation of LS6 you're talking about. An older LS6 from the 70's could be overbored because it is an iron block. I don't think that's the LS6 he wants to put in his car because it would be carbureted, but it would be a monster engine.
                  <hr></blockquote>
                  The LS-6 from the 70's was a 454 and would not fit in our cars.
                  2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

the LS-6 WILL fit, but not easy.

and your correct about the LS1/LS6 being similar.
                    i was talking about the GEN 3 LS6.

for the person who is intersted, send me an e-mail and i'll get you in touch with the seller.
                    ryan212@aol.com

wait... sounds like something is going on, i'll give him a call, and post back and see whats up.

Thanks

Ryan.

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: slow ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Timbo1969:

The LS-6 block and LS-1 blocks are identical other than the bottom of the LS-6 block is flat, and the LS-1 block is concave. You can make a 427 out of either one of the engines. It requires and extensive overbore and resleeve. Plus all of the other parts needed to build a stroker engine.
                      <hr></blockquote>

That's not what I've read.
                      Doesn't matter anyway, redcamaro9090 isn't getting an LS6 [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

there are some differences, for instance, my LS1 can only get a .005 hone, where the new ones can go for a .010 overbore. The sleves are thicker in the later cars.

But none really give you room for the large strokers, without sleving the block.

Ryan.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          3 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X