Odd problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd problem...

My car idles rougher than normal, like tries to die but only at idle... sometimes it does it when it is warm but mainly while cold. And WOT is AWESOME! it has never run so well, but this rough ace idle is really bothering me

What mods have you done, if any?

-Justin
    <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

whisper lid, 160' thermo, k&n, catback exhaust

Comment

My car kinda did that for a little while in the cold of winter after I had my exhaust installed, but it quickly went away, so I doubt with your mods that that is the problem... my guess is the fuel filter or a bad fuel pump? Can anyone else confirm?

-Justin
        <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

oh i also have removed my MAF screen, maybe that is it... fuel filter is new, is there anything else it could be? i put some screening over the FRA opening which restricted airflow a bit but not much and that has smoothed it over some, so it must be the screen right?

Comment

Put the screen back it, it is known to cause real problems on some people's car.

-Justin

Comment

thus the problem... it got thrown away...

Comment

95-98s are known to have problems without a MAF screen, 'cause of the angled TB. Either get one from GMPartsDirect.com (#24503677) or a junkyard and that'll probably fix it.
                Matt
                1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i was thinking about removing my MAF screen but i stumbled across this website, i quess i'm not going to remove it now http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox...maf-screen.htm
                  Red 94 Firebird: KIA<br />Black 2000 WS6 T/A: Parts for Sale

Comment

I removed my MAF screen and noticed NO change... I port and polished my TB also and cut out that pillar right in the middle from side of TB to side of TB I notice only perfomance increase... but my car does idle a little bit differently but it gets no where near quiting on me... even my boss said that he noticed it was more powerful since when i first got it, cause every now and then(once a month or so) he borrows it real quick to run to his house or something since his truck had major engine damage cause his wife didn't take care of it and do regular check ups...

mods:
                    port&polish TB
                    cut out bottom of air filter box and ran a 3 wide tube from box to TB and I made custom air ducts in the nose of my car just under the turn signals...
                    96 3.8L V6 Camaro 5-Speed<br />Vroom Vroom<br />No Power Doors / No Power Locks<br />Removed Jack and Spare<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikerob283\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain - Mikerob283</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X