Fuel Pressure Regulator OR Fuel Sending Unit? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Pressure Regulator OR Fuel Sending Unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pressure Regulator OR Fuel Sending Unit?

I've been *****ing for months now. This is my final try at getting opinions before I drop some big $$ on random related parts, hoping to fix what is wrong.

Background on my car: 1998 Camaro V6; Purchased with low miles 2 years ago; 51,000 miles currently; no aftermarket engine or exhaust work; I do have an aftermarket stereo setup

About 1 year ago I had my sytem installed. Nearly 2 months after that in late August, I had my car inspected. It passed inspection. Shortly after that I started having problems where my car would crank, and crank before it would finally turn over about 5-10 seconds later. In late September of last year my alternator died on me. My boyfriend and I replaced it with a new (reman delphi) alternator and battery. Things were slightly better, but not by much (in terms of it cranking). FASTFORWARD to this past march. My starter died (probably b/c of the constant cranking my car was doing) The starter was a rebuilt OEM put in by a proffessional. My "cranking" problem has been getting worse. I blow black smoke from the time i start up my car up until at least 2 minutes later as my car sputters along (stalling sometimes) For the first time ever YESTERDAY my car actually stalled on me WHILE driving. I have been throwing codes for a misfire on cylindar 2 and 6. My mechanic suggested a plug/wire/pcv change. I did that. He also suggested that it may be either fuel pressure regulator or fuel sending unit, but the misfires indicate possible bad fuel injectors.

OKAY NOW, my car is 5 years old. It shouldn't be having this big of a problem. But, I guess I have to deal with it. You guys have been such great helps and I have done almost everything everyone has previously recommended that I do:

**Changed Plugs (bosch plat 2) and wires (taylor)
    **Changed fuel filter
    **Changed oil and air filter
    **Changed air filter
    **Changed alternator AGAIN ( 10/11/2003)
    **Changed serpentine belt
    **Changed starter

What should I do next? Fuel Pressure Regulator? Fuel Sending Unit, Fuel Pump, Injectors???

HHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPP [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
    Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

I would get a diagnostic (about $50) before you start changing those parts, because they're pretty expensive parts to replace. My guess would be the fuel pump. I had close to the same problem but i caught it in its early stages, my car would just sputter for a few minutes in the morning. I didnt have smoke coming out the back though.

Comment

I've had it diagnosed seeeeeeeeeevvvvvvveeeeeeerrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaallllll times.

it only pulls the misfires of cyl 2 and 6

Comment

well, cyl, 2 and 6 arent on the same coil pack, so its prob not them.

maybe clogged cat? does the car bog down and stuff also?

id say pull the plugs and check them to see if they are still good also, cause it cant hurt. make sure the wires arent melted. etc.

[ October 13, 2003: Message edited by: Ian ]</p>

Comment

I just changed the plugs/wires 2 weeks ago

Comment

if it's your fuel pump, why are you only getting misfires on #2 & #6? that makes no sense to me, you should be getting misfires all over.

pull #2 & #6 plugs out..are those cyls running rich/lean when compared to #1,3,4,5 plugs?

check your fuel pressure on the fuel rails, see if they're what they're supposed to be.

remove your injectors & get them flow checked. here that costs $2 per injector. maybe #2 & #6 injectors are plugged up.

if it is somehow ignition related, and if $2 & #6 aren't on the same coil pack, maybe it's your icm that's done.

just my $.02

--matt

Comment

btw--my $$$ is on dirty/bad injectors.

--matt

Comment

Fuel pump, injectors ... bosch plat's suck ...
                -Rob
                <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

I'd say have your injectors cleaned and have the cat replaced/checked. Than go from there
                  1999 Silverado- Bagged, colormatched and rollin on stock chrome 16\'s<br />Make love not war, hell do both, get married

Comment

does the V6 use a Crank Position sensor, or a cam position sensor.

with the excessive cranking, and poor running, i would look into inpsecting these 2 sensors. I am not sure if the V6 has both or just the Crank sensor, but that is where i would start looking.

Ryan
                    1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

The 3.8 has both a crank and cam position sensor. When I was having problems starting my car that was it and it would shut off while I was driving.
                      Fuel pump...you'd be screwed arcoss the board and not for months, if it was going it would go quick.
                      Injectors...if it was just 2, your car would run like S#$%^it but it still would run, same with coils, wires. You're smoke problems could be from you're injectors putting fuel in but the cyls not burning all the fuel.
                      My bet is on crank sensor or ignition control module. The ICM can be checked at Autozone.
                      95 Camaro 3.8L Y2K motor <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/coriya71</a>

Comment

yea, i also heard the bosch plats suck, and id pull #2, #6, and another to compare them too to see what they look like.

fuel pump would give you probs everywhere, not just #2 and #6.

Comment

thanks so much

**sidenote** They discontinued the AC Delco GOLD and Platinums, as well as the rapidfires, I couldn't get them anywehre around here

Comment

go with ngk iridium

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              3 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X