Heat displacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat displacement...

What has a greater heat displacement property water or dex-cool...
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

water exchanges heat much better then antifreeze.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by edge24_99:
      What has a greater heat displacement property water or dex-cool...<hr></blockquote>

Dex-cool is added to not only lower the freezing point, but to raise the boiling point. Also modern coolants have a greater heat transfer coefficient than pure water.

[ June 17, 2002: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

So do I mix water/dex to save money? Why not run it pure? I know I cant run water pure...And how do you guys know? Thanks for the help...

I am just trying to learn.
        \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

You cant run %100 water because it will freeze. You have to have some dex cool in there. Safest is a good 50/50 mix of water and dex cool. And if thats not cool enough then get some Redline water wetter.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pgriffith:
            You cant run %100 water because it will freeze. You have to have some dex cool in there. Safest is a good 50/50 mix of water and dex cool. And if thats not cool enough then get some Redline water wetter.<hr></blockquote>

It wont freeze in June will it...
            I cant run %100 water because the dex lubes the water pump is what I thought.

Comment

I run as little coolant as possible in the mix. The less antifreeze the cooler my car runs with the waterwetter, I use about a 75/25 water/dexcool mix. If it didn't get cold in the area I lived in Id run straight water, and I have ran that during the summer a couple of times b4.

Comment

Car & Driver's current issue has a good editorial on coolant. Check it out...
                --Traded In--<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro (RS)<br />3.8L V6 w/4L60E Auto<br />Sport Appearance Package<br />T-Tops - Loaded<br />_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _ <br /><br />--New--<br />2003 Victory Red S10 Xtreme w/Silver Stripes<br />2.2 L4 w/MW2 5 Speed Manual<br />LS Package

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X