1994 3.4 Sometimes cuts out a little @ 5 grand - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 3.4 Sometimes cuts out a little @ 5 grand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 3.4 Sometimes cuts out a little @ 5 grand

I have a 1994 camaro 3.4 v6 manual tranny. The car all around runs great, however, a lot of the time when you have it gunned once it hits 5 thousand rpm, it stutters somewhat and doesnt accelerate up to redline full force. Seems to do it various tempatures so I can rule that out. It never seems to do this when you first start it for the day and hammer it. After about a minute of driving it'll act up and not accel up to redline as usual. The car pulls great up to 5 grand then slowly up to 6.5 g redline. It's just weird that sometimes she runs 100% and pulls hard all the way up to 6.5k. Its not the rev limiter kicking in at 5k either, its definately something else causing it. Any hints or suggestions? thanks
    Check out my car @ <a href=\"http://www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html</a> <br /><br />It\'s not what you make, it\'s what you spend! <br /><br />1994 Chevy Camaro 3.4, m5, t-tops, silver exterior, gray interior.<br /><br />Many modz! check out the site for details!

I have the same car. Going past 5K or so is really pointless. You are lossing more "recovery" time vs. Peak HP. Eh... let me try this in english...

You pull real hard up to 5K maybe 5300 right?? What is the point in adding the abuse in going to 6500 when you can shift gears and be right in the middle of your powerband (3000-5000) when you shift to the next gear.

Manufacturers put the little bit of red space on the gauges as a "safe zone". Basically, "you can go up to the end of this red zone, but we don't recomment it" type of thing. The red line starts at 5500 which is more to the area of our power band range anyways.

As for the stutter at 5K... not sure what your mods are, but I would start with a tune up. Look at the plugs. See what they tell you. If you have exhaust/intake combo.. what is it?? I have the Pacesetter headers/SS muffler with full cat and don't seem to have this issue. This also goes with a K&N FIPK that pull mondo air from where I removed that silly plastic guard.

Give us some mods. I tried looking at your site, but you have too much loading on one page and it was nice enough to take out IE for me.

Steve

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: TealV6 ]</p>
    FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
    Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
    Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

car seemed to do it before any mods, however the mods make it a little more noticeable. I have a 180 degree stat in it, an slp cold air intake(stainless twin 2.5" tube), and for exhaust its stock up until the tail section where I put a dynomax ultra flo ss with two 2.5 inch outlets however they are reduced just before the rksport stainless tips to 2 1/4. The car has accel wires, and I just took out the bosch platinum +4 plugs and install regular ac delco plugs as I am installing nitrous soon. Also, I just put in new O2 sensors. try going to www.g-rodz.com/camaro2.html for info on the other mods I have done. But for motor mods, what I have listed is about it.
      Check out my car @ <a href=\"http://www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html\" target=\"_blank\">www.grodzmotorsports.com:8080/camaro2.html</a> <br /><br />It\'s not what you make, it\'s what you spend! <br /><br />1994 Chevy Camaro 3.4, m5, t-tops, silver exterior, gray interior.<br /><br />Many modz! check out the site for details!

Comment

Check your ignition coils. As the rpms increase any weakness begins to reveal itself.
        Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

Its called you are out of the powerband...
          1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

Comment

6.5k?

holy shnikey!

hmm... wonder if I can dig up a pic of my oil to my old 2.8L after the piston put a whole in it.

Comment

its tough to diagnose, its not just the simple fact of being out the power band, sometimes it just doesnt pull hard up to redline, other times it will fine.

i'm hookin up a scantool and plan to record the data when it runs fine, and then when it doesn't, then i'll compare. See what i can come up with.

Comment

still 6.5k?

I mean today I was looking at it, I don't even like putting my car up to 5500 rpms.

Comment

hey, i've got the same prob with my 3.4 manual. once i hit about 5grand, the motor basicly just acts like i've got my foot on the clutch and are just reving it. it just won't go anymore, so i don't even bother with going that high anymore.no use in putting extra stress on the motor if it doesn't help. looks like it might just be the motor if other people have this problem.
                  1995 Camaro 3400 SFI V6 M5<br />Custom CAI|FloPro Exhaust|Mobil 1 sythentic|Yokohama T4\'s| 5% Rear Window tint, 35% front| Hockey stick side stripes|Indiglo Gauges|Custom Painted Interior<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/3400camaro\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/3400camaro</a>

Comment

its called a misfire.

get your engine diagnosed by GM. i had the same problem. some days the car would haul *** and race to get to the 6500 point (not that i ever took it that high, i tend to shift max @ 5500..just cause its easier on the car..i mean that is the start of the redline..anyway...)

some days the car would hesitate and it felt like some of the cylinders were gone or the clutch was slipping badly. i took the car to a dealer and got the diagnosis that i had a misfire, due to the fact that my crank was walking forward and the crank trigger was losing the signal to fire the coilpack.

this is a SERIOUS problem. and im just waiting for more 3.4L cars to exhibit it. esp. manual transmission cars (i have a manual tranny, the guy at GM told me it comes from sitting at a stoplight and holding your clutch too far in, causing too much pressure to be transferred to the thrust bearing (#3 main bearing))

i would however suggest you take your car to GM to have it diagnosed, so that they can tell you why you have a misfire. could be just a broken coilpack
                    could be my problem.

(this is why im having my engine rebuilt)

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
                    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
                    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X