I'm getting a bad feeling about the engine in my camaro - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm getting a bad feeling about the engine in my camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting a bad feeling about the engine in my camaro

My camaro (3.4) has close to 160,000 miles now for the last week and a half I'v noticed that under acceleration the engine vibrates at around 3500+ and just today I noticed it developed a knocking sound, not loud but just noticable when you stand next to it. Should I expect the engine to blow soon? I'm getting really worried, its my daily driver (and my baby), I have hardly any money right now (well, expect me to beg my dad to get it fixed).

I dont want it to break down! :(

can you explain the knocking sound?

Try going out and getting gas at a different gas station, and get the good stuff just one time... you may have gotten bad gas or something.

Comment

I highly doubt its the fuel causing it. Its making the same sound (but only quiet) that my brother's z28 did when something broke in the engine( like it threw a rod or bearing) I'm worried its about to throw a rod. I'm no mechanic but I do know some things about engines.

Comment

Listen to it carefully, does the knocking sound happen in Park, only in gear? Does it get louder or accelerate as you rev your engine. Alot can cause a knock, and trust me bad GAS is a major one for it, also bad spark plugs, bad ignition coils, wires... Any of these cause your engine to not fire correctly, and if not fixed can result in the throwing of a rod of destruction of a bearing. It is possible that you do have a bad bearing.. If you are in doubt, seriously give it a shot go give it some 90 octane or higher from a different station sometime when its close to empty, don't have to fill it, check all your plugs, and take a look at your wires. If the sound stays, just run it into a shop, and ask them to scope your engine, they will be able to tell you if you have a bad bearing or rod very quickly and probably not to expensive. If you find out it is that issue, make sure you let it warm up good, and put at least 10w30 maybe even 10w40 in it for now. And don't let your rpm's rev high until you can get it fixed.
        1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

It knocks in Park and driving. It doesn't seem to get louder as the engine rpm's climb, I cant hardly hear it when cruising at regular speeds cause of road noise. I'm already about to have the bearings for a/c belt pulley replaced cause the origonal bearings sound like there dried up (its making a whining sound and when I spin the pulley by hand it sounds like the bearing are dried up) I though thats what was killing my gas milage, now I doubt that.

Comment

More possibilities:

harmonic balancer. I've seen quite a few instances where the rubber isolating material cracks and seperates causing the failsafe lugs that are built into the balancer to knock together when the engine is running. The easiest way to check this is to get close to the balancer with the engine running at idle (be very careful)and have someone turn the air conditioning on. The pulses that the air conditioning compressor inparts on the harmonic balancer causes it to make even more noise.

belt tensioner assembly. These things can get quite noisy when the pivot arm bushings dry out, especially when the bearing wears and causes a misalignment of the pulley. Pull on your serpentine belt and watch the tensioner. I should move smoothly.

Not sure if you have an A4 or M5 tranny. If an A4 check the Flex Plate for cracks. I've seen where cracks have originated from and progressed to each of the crank attachment bolt holes. Made noises just as you described. This is not an easy thing to check because you have to get under the car, remove the torque converter access cover and use a bright light (the brighter the better) to look for the damage. Not a lot of space and hard to see.

DZ
            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

How would it feel or sound if I pull on the belt tensioner? I got the bearings on a/c belt pulley hub replaced (thank god cause origonal bearings were making noise, now it sounds so much quieter) today, the mechanic said the bushings on the tensioner are bad. I dont understand that because I replaced the old tensioner, got the current one from Autozone last year.
              And no it doesn't get louder when I turn the a/c on.

Comment

Oh yeah, this morning it wasent knocking, but when I started it up during lunch time at work, it knocks.

Comment

You wouldn't expect that from a tensioner as new as that. Did you replace it yourself, or did you have some shop replace it for you?

Before you believe that mechanic, check it out for yourself.

When you pull on the belt the arm of the tensioner should rotate smoothly in it's arc(as it tries to maintain the tension) When the pivot bushing starts to sieze up (due to lack of lubrication, corrosion, or even interference from dirt), when you pull on the belt the tension arm will rotate in a jerking fashion.

A worn bushing can also **** the tensioner arm out of alignment to an angle that allows it to contact the tension spring housing/mounting base, and during operation this constant contacting causes noise. To see how much wear you really have, while holding the tensioner pulley off the belt (moving the tensioner arm away from the belt) check to see if the tensioner arm has any movement other than in it's expected rotation arch. Be careful as there is some serious tension there and you can get hurt if it slips.

Sometimes you can see it if the condition is very bad. For example, look for a tensioner pully that doesn't align with the run of the belt and odd belt wear patterns. In some situations you can actually see the Tensioner arm completely out of alignment in comparison to its base where it pivots.

DZ
                  Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Hey what's with the ****?? I didn't use a bad word there....I swear! ...I mean honest!

DZ

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X