Power steering, harder than im used to - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering, harder than im used to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering, harder than im used to

Ok I just got a 99 camaro, and this was the first time i had driven one and to me it seems like its harder to turn the wheel, than it was in my 98 s10, my dads 94 fullsize and other cars i have driven, is this normal? Doesnt seem like a laid back one finger turner, haha

That's because it's not a laid back one finger turner. This very same thing is the reason my parents hate to drive my car. "It stears too hard", "I hate the steering". You probably have the Y87 Package. That gives you a different ratio. Like 14:1 or something. Yeah it's kinda hard to get used to, but driving your other cars will never be the same after you get used to this.
    ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

O i dont mind it, u feel like u have mor control, but I was just curious. thx alot

Comment

I used to think my dad's 98 Jimmy was a decent vehicle where steering was concerned. Had 'some' effort, but not a lot.

Then I bought my car in late May. Then after two months of not touching his vehicle, I took it for a spin one day. I could sneeze on the steering wheel and pull a 180, that's what it felt like to me. Our cars = much better steering. Tighter is better.
        \'97 Camaro: GN Turbo w/intercooler, 3.42s w/ Auburn HD posi, Bulletproof 4L60E-HD, stage II shift kit, Vette servo, MSD Ign, K&N, Ported TB/MAF, 3\" FlowMaster, 160* thermo, HPTuners v1.6

Comment

wider tires/stiffer sidewalls contribute somewhat to stiffer steering. also, people like to turns the wheels when the car isnt moving. this is somewhat hard to do in a y87 with the upgraded steering (and bad for the tires). get the car moving then turn.

and i cant stand driving other vehicles. feels like i am turning the steering wheel and nothing is happening.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
            New Owner!
            by LETZRIDE
            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
            2 days ago
          • ssms5411
            Little work today
            by ssms5411
            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
            2 weeks ago
          • LETZRIDE
            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X