Coated vs. uncoated headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coated vs. uncoated headers

Ok im new to thissite and was wandering if anyone could tell me if there are any performance gains in the ceramic coated and uncoated pacesetter headers for the 3800. if it is just corrosion resitance, heat dissapation, and looks then would it really be worth the extra 100 dollars? im just kinda curious. im guessing, since everyone here has the ceramic coated, that the coated are better but im on a budget, trying to do the whole exhaust at once including high flow 3"cat and cat back. for that matter what is the best 3" cat back for the money. any help would be appreciated.
    2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Well coated will last the life of the car, they will never corrode, rust, or look bad (unless you stain them), and they will retain the heat better for more performance and lower underhood temperatures.

Personally, if I was going to go through the trouble to change mine, I'd at least put ceramic coated ones on so I wouldn't have issues later.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

if its only a 100$ difference, its worrth it. less headaches down the road.

but if you still want to save money, you can get the non-coated headers and get some wrap:

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...rt=header+wrap

never used wrap b4 myself.
      1999 White Ford SVT Lightning.<br /><br />Hoping to dyno @ 450hp/550tq by the end of \'04.

Comment

I've investigated the wrap quite a bit and found that all it does is make the headers deteriorate faster. If you're just using the wrap for a few races on a racecar, sure that works for a few more ponies... but it will kill the piping so I hear.

If the headers were not mild steel but were stainless, there wouldn't be much of a reason to coat them unless you just really wanted to for an extra 2hp [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

thx for all the help i think im gonna go with the ceramic pacesetters. the best price i have found is 300 from summit, is that a decent price. if not could anyone give me a hint as to where else to find them cheaper. thanks for your quick response and all your help.
          2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

jcwhitney supposedly has them for $250, but i think i remeber someone saying they were on back order.
            \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

JC Whitney sends you the wrong ones when you order those, I wouldn't try to order from them.
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X