SES light and Manual Fan Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES light and Manual Fan Switch

My SES light comes on when I drive above 20 or so with the fans on (driving to the staging lanes at the track). Does anyone else have this issue? It goes off after I drive the car a couple of times without turning on the switch.

This doesn't hurt anything does it? As long as it doesn't I don't really care, just want to make sure.
    SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

The computer isn't telling the fans to turn on, yet they are on, so it gives you the SES light. Most who use the fan switch get the light.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

you can eliminate the light, by installing 1 watt 47 ohm resistor for the "low" speed fan wire, and 2 47 ohm, in parallel, for the "high" speed fan fan wire, installed between the switch and the fender/fuse box connection.

http://www.fbodyextreme.com/fan_switch.html

This should explain it better.

Ryan.
      1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

The SES is normal and wont harm anything [img]smile.gif[/img]
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Ok, I was almost totally certain that the SES light didn't hurt anything I was just wanting to ease my mind with confirmation.

slow--I have always been curious to know how people figure this stuff out. How did you figure out those resistors would keep the SES light from coming on?? I am assuming you have access to the wiring diagrams to the car and can read them good enough to figure out what does what???
          How did someone figure out which wires to tap into to install the manual fan switch??

I am just a curious person and I am just curious to know how people figure this stuff out.

Thanks for the help!!!
          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

that is a friend of mine's install page.

the factory relays are 47 ohm resistance, so the resistors keep the computer from seeing 0 ohms resistance ground.

the 2 are used due to the high speed relays being 2 in parallel.

I don't have the wiring diagrams, but found them online.

but as others said, the ses won't harm anything, but if you can avoid it, why not ;)

Ryan [img]smile.gif[/img]
            1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

i've never gotten a SES from my fan switch...should i?
              1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> i've never gotten a SES from my fan switch...should i? <hr></blockquote>

My SES light only comes on if I go over 20 mph or so with the switch on.

Comment

yeah...i can drive w/ mine on...never ever gotten a light..no matter what speed? is this a DIY switch or what?
                  1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

Umm, if you define DIY for me I may be able to tell you [img]smile.gif[/img] (I am horrible with acronyms).

Comment

Do It Yourself.
                      Matt
                      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Do It Yourself. <hr></blockquote>

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

Yes I put the switch in myself. I used the instructions from the link that is posted here often (found it with search).

It appears from the previous posts in this thread that it is pretty common, so I am not really worried about it.

If it annoys me to bad I will use slow's advice and install the resistors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X