Odd smell, with loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd smell, with loss of power

I'm thinking it's the cat going, but I want some other opinions, seeing as I just replaced the cat last fall. My car runs just a bit rough on idle, and really stutters until about 3'000 rpm, after that it'll take right off. I just don't get how it runs so good above 3000. I have a wierd smell too, not really the rotten egg smell, almost like someone is cooking some nasty food. Great describtion, huh. I just started it up tonight and it did this right off the bat. It was colder than normal tonight, but only 40degrees, not that cold. Any ideas?
    1995 Camaro 3400 SFI V6 M5<br />Custom CAI|FloPro Exhaust|Mobil 1 sythentic|Yokohama T4\'s| 5% Rear Window tint, 35% front| Hockey stick side stripes|Indiglo Gauges|Custom Painted Interior<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/3400camaro\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/3400camaro</a>

What kind of cat is on there?
    Regardless of Age.

Sounds like a Fuel/Ignition/Emission problem.
    <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Maybe blown head gasket.... rotten smell - coolant, stuttering - blow-by through the gasket. At high rpm's it's not as obvious due to other cylinders compensating at those rpm's. Just a suggestion.

Check your coolant level. Of course when it's cold.

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: ka50 ]</p>

Comment

can't explain smell...but check the wires on the TPS sensor...mine had sim prob...

wasn't getting enought voltage (until about 3000 rpm) b/c the wires had stripped.

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: mrbako ]</p>
        1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X