When to change oxygen sensors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to change oxygen sensors?

When do I change oxygen sensors? Are they the little plugs with a threadlike cover on the exhaust???

Originally posted by joecool:
    When do I change oxygen sensors? Are they the little plugs with a threadlike cover on the exhaust???
    if you have over 50k miles on the car i would, most people wait till they throw a code but you get better gas milage with new ones,
    you have 4, one in each header, one in the y pipe and one after the cat
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I have 30,000 miles and 8 years, would the age of my car be a sign for change?

Comment

I only have 3 on my 99 and they are EXPENSIVE.

I've got 96k on my car now and I'd really like to change them but they were like 50 bucks a piece at advance...ugh. :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to just chill and let that SES light stay on, its the stupid 1420 code.
        -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I have 30,000 miles and 8 years, would the age of my car be a sign for change?
          what the reason you think you need to change them?
          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

I've been doing a whole bunch of tuning up like fuel filter, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, tire rotation. I was wondering if I needed to do anything else so that I can get it out of the way instead of doing a little piece every so often. The 30,000 mile mark is a big one for tune ups I think. And maybe the 8 years. My mom was the driver for the 7 of 8 so the only time it was serviced was when the car didnt work. That leaves out any tune ups.

Comment

I've been doing a whole bunch of tuning up like fuel filter, oil, oil filter, spark plugs, tire rotation. I was wondering if I needed to do anything else so that I can get it out of the way instead of doing a little piece every so often. The 30,000 mile mark is a big one for tune ups I think. And maybe the 8 years. My mom was the driver for the 7 of 8 so the only time it was serviced was when the car didnt work. That leaves out any tune ups.
              how is your milage? also i **think** you suppose to do them every 50k miles but don't hold me to that
              www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

well before the tune ups i did last week at 30000 miles, the max I saw for the year i was driving was 23. Now when I put 5 gallons into it (my gauge is broken) it ran 170 miles so thats like 30 or so mpg.
                oh yea I forgot to mention that my exhaust smells bad too. when i reverse slowly with the windows down, i can smell the exhaust.

Comment

consider them a tune up part. every 50K. your gas milage will thank you
                  1996 Silver camaro Z28. M6,<br />12 bolt, 4.11\'s, posi, Rear cover, Spec stage 2, loudmouth, more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1</a> &lt;Mods, Pics & more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2</a> &lt;Fbody Tech Articals

Comment

well before the tune ups i did last week at 30000 miles, the max I saw for the year i was driving was 23. Now when I put 5 gallons into it (my gauge is broken) it ran 170 miles so thats like 30 or so mpg.
                    oh yea I forgot to mention that my exhaust smells bad too. when i reverse slowly with the windows down, i can smell the exhaust.
                    does it smell like roten eggs ?
                    www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

No rotten egg smell. Just a bad smell that smells real dirty like the gas was not burned fully or the exhaust coming out of a diesal semi truck. Thats one of the reasons that I think the o2 sensors need changing. Its either that or an exhaust component is broken. The cats look good.

Comment

I do not know if the O2 sensors really need to be replaced at 50K. I was thinking much closer to 100K. I mean these sensors are NOT cheap, who can afford to replace them every 50K, especially when they should last much longer than that!
                        2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

Comment

Now obviously, if there is a car with only 30K miles on it and the car is almost 10-years old, than the O2 sensors should probably be replaced.
                          However, if you got a car with 85K miles on it and it is only 5-years old, again the O2 sensors should probably be replaced.
                          It depends on the situation.
                          2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

Comment

I agree. They are 65 freaking dollars a piece at Autozone, like 50-60 if I remember right at discount auto. :eek:

God I miss the old days, one wire O2 sensor that goes in my 92, like 17.99 :D
                            -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I found this cool wholesale place. They're cheap there. Bosch GM type o2 sensor. http://www.autobarn.net/bosoxsen.html

Is 2 for 31.90 a good price?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X