Engine Running Hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Running Hot

Well, excuse the vague details. But I got my oil change light after about 4.5k miles AHHH.. it had completely slipped my mind. Well around the same time my engine was experiencing higher than normal operating temps. (210.. then jump up halfway past 210 to the red, then come down). I was thinking changing my oil would fix that. Well, it's doing the same thing today and i still have an oil change light on!?!?

I did flush my own coolant system a couple months ago.. could it be a bubble? How do i check for it?

BTW, could my complete lack of having a power brake booster bump up the engine temps? Just curious
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

man my car did the same thing yours did. especially when i was stopped and idling. replace your thermostat.

Comment

to reset the oil change light, hold the "trip/oil reset" button on the dash for about 10 seconds until the oil change light blinks a couple of times. The two problems are likely unrelated.
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

yeah the two problems should be unrelated. Just start at the cheapest thing. Replace you thermo, and change the fluid. I doubt its a bubble in the system. The system will purge itself of any of that once the thermo opens. you could make sure all the hose clamps are tight. Sometimes, if they are loose, then the system will suck in air, through the unloosened spot. This will cause foam. And foam does not flow and cool as well as a water based mix, or water. Good luck. ;)
        Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

coo coo, thing is.. i'm making a trip tomorrow, so any replacement i do will have to be quick. BTW, my engine doesn't smell hot.. nor do i smell coolant. I'll check where i cut the coolant line for leaks.. might as well grab a thermo, auto zone? And where can i see how to replace it, and how can i know if mine isn't working? Car has 86k miles, i assume it's the stock thermo..

thx everyone!
          ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

thermo replacement will take no more than 30mins.

Comment

If you think there is a possible bubble that may be effecting it. Bleed the line. I dont think this will solve your problem though. But that is how you check for bubbles.
              Mods:<br />SLP Cold Air Induction<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />3.23 to 3.42 gear ratio<br /><br />White 1997 Camaro RS 5spd

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X