SQUEALING UNDER THE HOOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQUEALING UNDER THE HOOD

I have had a squealing noise coming from the engine since last summer. Now that the weather is colder it seems to be getting louder. The noise is constant and occurs when I start my car and lasts until I turn it off. What is the cause. The belt seems fine(but of course I'm no expert). DO I need a new belt. Should I spray some lube on the belt such as wd-40. Any ideas?

If it occurs only at idle, then I have the same issue.

It is in fact either the belt squealing or the alternator screaming. I cleaned my belt with some soap and water, it got better temporarily, but it has returned...

Does it sound like a whine at idle? Is it way louder when cold? I wish I knew how to silence it :(
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I had that same problem. Much louder and present when starting or when its cold. It ended up being my alternator. Guess it's time to pony up 120 bucks! At least in most places, if you take your old alternator back, they give you a 30 refund for the core charge. I used to think it was a belt as well, but I figured a belt would ALWAYS squeel, not just more often when it's cold. Well, hope you figure it out and again, I am leaning toward it being a bad alternator.

Comment

no its not my altenator, that made a whining noise and I had it replaced last month. This is more of a squeal or squeak. It happens all the time at idle and when drving. Im pretty sure its the belt. I was told they have something called "belt dressing" to help lubricate the belt, has anyone heard of this.

Comment

I had the same problem too 3years ago. I thought it was the alternator but actually it was the idler pulley. What you could do is use a stethiscope do detect which of the pulley is making the noise.

Good luck

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

why dont you just replace the belt and find out? there not that expensive
            <a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/e/defrag/sig.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">1997 Firebird V6-Y87/W68</a>

Comment

First off , do yourself a favor and forget about the belt dressing, it's a band-aid cure and will make a mess of your engine compartment,I would get the alternator checked, did you buy a new or remanufactered one? That sure is what it sounds like... Good luck.
              Also what condition is your belt in? check for glazing on it, or cracks.glazing would indicate belt slipping.

[ March 09, 2002: Message edited by: 2001 Green machine ]</p>
              99 Dodge Quadcab<br />Traded: 2001 Camaro(will be missed)<p>Be wary of anything that can bleed for 5 days and live....

Comment

Im 99% percent sure its not the alternator. As far as belts go do our cars have two off them. A a/c belt and the serp belt. What do they cost to replace. I haven't seen any cracks, how would I know if its glazed.

Comment

Thor has a good point, get a mechanics stethascope at any parts store and hold the end near the idler pully ,you'll hear if there is a problem, these are also great for finding vacuum leaks.
                  99 Dodge Quadcab<br />Traded: 2001 Camaro(will be missed)<p>Be wary of anything that can bleed for 5 days and live....

Comment

if it's glazed it will look shiney on the contact surfaces, may turn to a tan or light brown color.If it's slipping it builds up heat and for lack of a better term "burns" the belt.

Comment

Where is the idler pulley. How much would that cost to fix. The sound is always constant, whether im in drive or reverse. When driving i can barely hear the sound with the music off and the windows down.

Comment

this definitely sounds like the idler pulley. i have replaced mine twice already. if you do replace it go to napa and get a metal pulley instead of the plastic stock one. it sounds as if the bearing is going out on your pulley. for you guys that need to replace the alternator, look in the yellow pages for someone who rebuilds them. i got mine rebuilt for $35 at a local shop.

Comment

by the way the idler pulley isjust under the alternator. it is real easy to replace only takes about 30 min. even with removing and replacing the belt. if you don't know to much about cars buy a chiltons manual about $15 it will show you how to fix it. pulley is about $4 for the plastic, $15 for the metal.

Comment

yea its definaltey a pully problem, happened to my old car once, better replace it soon casue it its not turninging then your belt getting burned up in the process and your gonna be deeper than you were before!

thats my two cents
                            98 firebird v6<p>venom member #6<p>40 series flowmasters, FRA w/ K&N filter. a big engine, batmobile floor mats,<br />more to come:<br />\"some technical stuff goes here\"<p>CLOSES THING TO THE BATMOBILE IM GONNA GET!.....for now!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X