Anyone had problems with MSD coils?! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone had problems with MSD coils?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had problems with MSD coils?!

So i first had coils go bad about a year ago and replaced them with ****ty autozone coils. well they didnt last long, so i got MSD coils around june or july.

well, not too long ago, my car was acting gay as hell. it was hesitating REALLY bad, running REALLY rich, felt like i had about 10hp, and smelled like ****, threw a blinking ses light, and random misfire code, and O2 sensor codes. i didnt know what the hell it was, and didnt think my new coils were the cause of the misfire. so i took it in and had a computer diagnostic done... turns out one of my msd coils took a sh*t on me. i replaced it a couple weeks ago, and just this past weekend swapped the bosch +4s with NGK TR55s and did both O2 sensors before the cat. car ran good, until today, when the stuttering, smelly bullsh*t started again. I find it hard to believe that its a coil again. those damn things are almost BRAND NEW. anyone else had problems with MSD crap?

also, one of my codes i still have is cat below efficiency or something... is this just a sign of a bad O2, which is still factory stock with about 80k miles, or does it mean my cat really is bad? its a 3" carsounds cat thats barely over a year old. I'm afraid of it being the cat because i hear a loud *** annoying rattle coming from that area under acceleration, and when i tap it, it rattles inside. is my cat bad? and could it possibly cause all the bullsh*t that my car is giving me?
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/325081\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Red Firebird M5</a><br />not enough mods

i had one crap out on me about 6 months ago, i replaced the bad one and haven't had any problems since. Call MSD and see whats up and if you can get it replaced for free.
    Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

http://www.zzperformance.com/zzp/info/bad_mods.htm

Why I run STOCK coils and STOCK wires. I also run AC Delco Iridum plugs (NGK's in disguise).

Read that link.

The 3800 II Grand prix GT's have basically the same PCM and ignition system we do. Sell your MSD coil packs and order new ones from gmpartsdirect and be happy.

[ September 20, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: Fredless ]
      -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

does it smell like rotten eggs? you say it smells ****ty, so it prompts me to say "bad cat". But it also sounds like you're on the right track w/ the plugs/wires/coils. Good job replacing the o2 sensors, most people leave that till they're on their last leg. If your cat is going bad, here's a way to find out. 1) the smell of rotten eggs 2) drive on the highway for 20-30 minutes, and then after parking the car, see if that sum-bish is glowing red. If she is, you should invest in a high flow cat. Cheers, lemme know how it shakes out.
        Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          2 days ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X