Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No codes, Still vibrating

I'm at wits end with this freakin car.

I've had what I thought was a miss for about two months now. New everything ignition (short of the ICM) and now the guy who tried to pull my codes said "no data" I said bullsh1t and went to my tranny place (brand new snap-on scanner) and he pulled "no data" for the tranny, ABS, engine, and air bag. WTF?

I'm going to jack it up this weekend and see if I can see a broken tranny/motor mount or somehting. But I don't think it's that because it vibrates in neutral standing still!

I'll check it out more closely this weekend, in the meantime, any ideas? I'm taking it to a muffler shop to see if my cat is clogged. (feels like my Stang did when the cat went) but it's more steady, like it's only on one cylinder.

I'm going to do a compression check soon too, I just have to get the adapter to fit the plug size I have... Wish me luck...

:mad:
    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

FWIW, when I did my plugs and wires (both on mine and on my mom's aurora) it was smooth for 1 minute ... and it shakes a tiny bit now. But not as bad as when I had a computer-documented misfire. It just shakes ... eat it, i guess ... You might try motor and transmission mounts.
    -Rob
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

I've been told it just needs a "tune up." What the hell does that mean nowadays? Used to, it meant timing, ignition check, that kind of thing. Computerized engines tune themselves right?

Well, I think the muffler guy had a point when I called. He said that if I'm loosing both power AND fuel efficiency (which I am) it could be exhaust backpressure. I'm getting my cat checked in about 10 min.... We'll see I guess.

P.S. I won't tollerate vibration like this. It's not bad, but it's only got 70K miles for goodness sakes! My stang had 150K, no rebuild, and it was smooth sailin'. (Burnt a little oil, but hey, what do you expect?)

Anyway, wish me luck.

Comment

basically a tune will be plugs and wires and they will rip you off for it too TUNE UP not tune

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: chevcamaro18 ]</p>
        2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Checked the Cat and NO problem. Flows as well as new stock...

Let my dad (the master of all ford vehicles starting with the T!) drive it and he said it felt like there was a wire (plug wire) switched. Checked them and they were fine, but we went along pulling plugs and seeing which one didn't make a difference and it was weird, no one plug made any less of a difference than the others.

Oh, P.S. checked the motor/tranny mounts, all OK.

It feels like a dead miss to me. (And dad.) But who knows. Luckily, there's a 95 Camaro EXACTLY like mine, (except teal w/t-tops)at the body shop being stretched back into shape, (got rear-ended by a Dodge Ram @ 35 MPH) and I think I'll try to talk my dad into letting me swap ICM's and see if that makes a difference. Maybe even PCM's too.

Here's my main problem with this whole ordeal; I've purposely done things to throw codes and none have been recorded. I pull plug wires, pull sensor connectors, lots of stuff, and NO codes.

Time for a new one, huh?

Help!

-Brian

Comment

Hey man sounds like my problem exact problem. I have had this forever i changed plugs, mounts, crankshaft balancer etc. Here's the only thing i coul copme up withi would chew mounts quick. I think it was my crankshaft walking back and forth for it seems the vibration would come and go. Anyways moral of this story i forked over 2 grand to have an engine rebuild and i will get it back next week. One more thing if my engine still vibrates i'm going to find a reven and set the car on fire and drive it on in. I think it could be the drive shaft though to
            My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

Man I'm an idiot.

My dad has one of those timing lights that you just clamp around a wire, and it picks up the signal from there... He says "I know how to tell if the plug is getting juice" I say "yeah, pull each plug one at a time and attach a ground?" he says "nope, check this out"

We tested all the wires and guess what? one of them didn't give the light! I was floored. I must have checked those freakin' coils five hundcred times, but sure enough, #6 plug is not firing. We confirmed it by attaching an old wire/plug to it and grounding the plug. Not even so much as static electricity. The coil is brand new (lifetime warranty at autozone) and I'll replace it this morning. I bet this does it.

I guess I just pulled the easiest to get to wire on each coil, assuming that if one plug fires, the other will. Whatever mechanism allows both posts to fire is fried in that coil. What a kick in the pants!

I'll post again after I fix it... adios

-Brian

Comment

Crap man i wonder if that's what is wrong with my car number six plug seems to get a nasty looking pitting type look after a few months maybe this is from raw gas. I'll keep you posted after i get my car back
                My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian Dieckman:
                  I guess I just pulled the easiest to get to wire on each coil, assuming that if one plug fires, the other will. Whatever mechanism allows both posts to fire is fried in that coil. What a kick in the pants!<hr></blockquote>

a short to ground in the secondary windings would cause one plug to fire but not the other. if the other plug on that coil fires check coil, wire, and plug for problem cyl. if neither plug on that coil fires then check for pulsing voltage to coil from ICM.
                  ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strange_trp:

a short to ground in the secondary windings would cause one plug to fire but not the other...
                    <hr></blockquote>

This man is a genious. #6 coil post not firing, and the #6 plug was loose. If a loose plug isn't a short to ground, I don't know what is!

Replaced the coil, now all is well.

THANK ALL OF YOU SO MUCH

-Brian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X