Spark Plug Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Plug Replacement

It's that time... time to replace my spark plugs!
    Now i have never done this before, so what can i expect?
    I've heard it can be a pain in the butt, and i also have heard it's not too bad.
    What's the easiest way to get at the plugs? From the top, the bottom, or would it be better to go in through the wheel well?

I guess my most important question is, what plugs should i use? Should i go with the OEM or do you guys recommend something different?
    2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...653;p=1#000001

I just use whatever they have in stock at the auto parts store.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

I put in a set of NGK iridiums about 2 weeks ago. Took about 30-45 minutes, and I was in no big hurry. My SLP strut tower brace was actually a big help on the driver's side. You can slide the fuel lines under it, and then it holds them out of your way so you can get to the plugs lol

But to answer your question, it's not hard at all. Despite what you may hear, all 6 of them can be changed from under the hood. No need to jack the car up. Now the 93-97's are a different story...
      2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

**** dude, save yourself a lot of time and effort, and jack the car up and work on it from the bottom. their are so many header plates in the way of the plugs that you have to undo its so time consuming, go from the bottom it is much much easier
        1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Comment

His isn't the same as yours.....trust me, I've changed plugs on my 2000 and then on my friend's 96 formula....it's not necessary to raise the car.
          2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

yea, if you dont have tubular manifolds, you definately need to go from under the car.

Comment

Since he has a 2000, I was assuming he did have them.

Comment

I have tubular manifold and I still had to do mine from under, there were 2 I could get from the top but that's it...
                \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

Did all 6 of mine from the top. Viper in rlv6 bloodied the crap out of his hand though on the number 5 plug... be careful of a nice sharp piece of metal poking out from directly across from that plug. Everything else is easy.
                  -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

i recommend doing it from the bottom and the top. i have a 2000 and its alot easier to do it both ways then just one ;)

[ September 14, 2004, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I want a 200 f-body...
                      00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

Originally posted by ReodDai:
                        I want a 200 f-body...
                        i'll sell you my 200 f-body for 500.

also, always wear gloves. i do mine from the top. i doubt i could reach mine from below.

Comment

I can reach mine from the top. The ones in the back aren't the nicest, but I can reach 'em. Mine's a 2000.
                          \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Originally posted by white00camaro:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ReodDai:
                            I want a 200 f-body...
                            i'll sell you my 200 f-body for 500.</font>[/QUOTE]i'll sell you my 200 for 450 :D
                            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by memphis_raines:
                              Now the 93-97's are a different story...
                              My '94 wasn't that bad. Took about an hour, did it "on-top", and gloves definately saved my arse. The Mechanix FastFit gloves are awesome.
                              Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X