Windshield wiper arm plastic spoiler thingy - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield wiper arm plastic spoiler thingy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield wiper arm plastic spoiler thingy

The other day when the cold snap came and a layer of ice covered my car, I broke off one of the plastic cover things for the wiper arms on my Firebird (the driver's side) while trying to get the wiper unstuck from the windshield.. Can I get a new one without having to buy a new wiper arm, or should I just leave it alone? From what I've heard the things don't really serve any purpose unless you drive over 100MPH in the rain (and honestly, who would do that?).

I still have the broken cover here, but it looks like a retaining piece or something snapped off.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Speaking of... I wanted to take those off this past summer and I forgot. Thanx for mentioning it. The 98+ camaro's didn't have them, so I just assumed they were crap and anyone who has the 93-97's, were ginuea pigs.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman:
      Speaking of... I wanted to take those off this past summer and I forgot. Thanx for mentioning it. The 98+ camaro's didn't have them, so I just assumed they were crap and anyone who has the 93-97's, were ginuea pigs.
      I did some research, I guess GM did away with them because people said they were distracting.

I think the actual wiper arms for 98+ are different too, as they take regular 24 inch blades and not the reverse ones the 93-97s take.

The wiper seems to work fine, so I'm not too concerned about it, it just looks odd since teh Passenger one still has it. I might as well break that one off too to look consistent.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

Once I get mine off, I'll send them to you...if you want.
        sigpic

Comment

so will the 98 plus work on our 1997? i hate thoe 4 inch wide blades :mad: least thats how it seems they are
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I replaced my 96 ones a LONG time ago with the new style 98+.
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT:
              I replaced my 96 ones a LONG time ago with the new style 98+.
              sweet thahnks :D
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

If what you broke is what I'm thinking, than you can buy that from GM as a part... It's like 3 bucks... It's the plastic piece that covers the main joint on your wiper arm right?? Mine broke off in a hail storm a couple of years ago...
                --chris--

Comment

alpong the lines of wiper arms, mine will not go back down to the rest position, i hate that plastic thingy, too. will replacing the whole arm assy fix the problem or is there something worse going on in there?
                  Ron<br /><br />Green 95 Firebird 3.4 M5<br />Plugs, wires, wheels, tires<br />Homemade CAI

Comment

Originally posted by roughbird86:
                    along the lines of wiper arms, mine will not go back down to the rest position, i hate that plastic thingy, too. will replacing the whole arm assy fix the problem or is there something worse going on in there?
                    They just need to be adjusted. The shaft is splined. Remove the wiper and re-intall one or two splines over. It took me several tries to get the wiper adjusted just right.
                    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

thanks, again for the help. one of these days, i'l be able to post something other than questions on this site. Starting to rebuild my t-5 next week, i'l keep everyone posted on those trials and tribulations.
                      Ron<br /><br />Green 95 Firebird 3.4 M5<br />Plugs, wires, wheels, tires<br />Homemade CAI

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X