Water in Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Trunk

Yesterday on my way home from school, my back speakers were playing sporadically, so when I got home I opened my hatch and pulled the subs to look at the amps and my trunk had about 1/4" of standing water in it. I dried it out disconnected everything.

I did a lot of searching and messing around, and can't seem to figure out how it got in there. It doesn' appear to have leaked from the glass, as the only carpet that is wet is the carpeting on the bottom, and the amps (i have them on the bottom) were not wet on top at all. It was nice and sunny most of the afternoon yesterday so I got it 100% dry, and since yesterday afternoon, it's rained more than 1" and the bottom is dry today?? I have no idea how it got wet the first time, it seems to be fine now, but now I'm paranoid about it leaking, as I couldn't find anything wrong. Any ideas?
    New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

wow thats pretty messed up. You said its not coming in between the glass so the only other thing I can think of is there the water runs down between the hatch and rear pannels. Check all those seals and make sure they are good. Other than that I can't give you any more advice.

Comment

Were you driving in the driving the last day? Maybe the water only gets forced into a seal when the car is moving, so no water leak if you were letting the car sit. Maybe coming up from the rear wheels into the fender wells.
      Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
      Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

There was an issue that GM is aware about where the water leaks in at the top of the hatch. I read a notice about it quite some time ago. The fix was plugging some hole in the hatch.
        <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

oh my get a blanket your cars water broke your going ot have granded ahhh ererr minimaro :D

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

no but really were the seal meet sometime leaks
          www.turbov6camaro.com
          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by crasher:
            wow thats pretty messed up. You said its not coming in between the glass so the only other thing I can think of is there the water runs down between the hatch and rear pannels. Check all those seals and make sure they are good. Other than that I can't give you any more advice.
            That was my thought as well, but after I cleaned it out, I got out the hose and was spraying my car all over the place trying to get it to leak, but wasn't really successful. I put some caulk-type stuff around the bend of the weather stripping by the tail-lights, because that seemed like the most likely spot that it would have happened.
            New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

Hi MR_MAN and all.

Got the SAAAME problem. I have checked everywhere to try and isolate the situation. I have a friend here in town that owns a body and paint shop and he knows most cars inside out. I ran it by his place just last week and he took a look and said 99% of these problems he's seen eminated from a breach in the rear taillight assembly. In my case there is a crack where water is seeping in and when they fill they spill out through the socket holes or any other weep vents that may be present. The fix is new taillights (or good used ones from ebay) or plugging up the source of the leak. Don't know if that will turn out to be your situation, but I hope it helps....blessings
              \"this isn\'t flying...its falling...with style!\"<br /> -Buzz Lightyear<br /><br /><br /> 96 bright red firebird, T-tops, monsoon CD Flowmaster catback dual exhaust <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/joyfellowship1</a> <br /> <a href=\"http://www.joyfellowshipchurch.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.joyfellowshipchurch.com</a>

Comment

One other possible way to troubleshoot:

Start the car, and run the fan on high (maybe with AC on max)

Get a bucket of nice soapy water and pour it over all the seams where the gaskets are.

If there's any gap, you should see it blowing bubbles there from the fan running.

Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastor Larry Roques:
                  Hi MR_MAN and all.

Got the SAAAME problem. I have checked everywhere to try and isolate the situation. I have a friend here in town that owns a body and paint shop and he knows most cars inside out. I ran it by his place just last week and he took a look and said 99% of these problems he's seen eminated from a breach in the rear taillight assembly. In my case there is a crack where water is seeping in and when they fill they spill out through the socket holes or any other weep vents that may be present. The fix is new taillights (or good used ones from ebay) or plugging up the source of the leak. Don't know if that will turn out to be your situation, but I hope it helps....blessings
                  I'm 99.99% sure it didn't come from there, the only, the back carpet seemed to be 100% dry, but I'll relook.

zlexiss- I have no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_man:
                    zlexiss- I have no idea what you're talking about.
                    When you crank the a/c in your car on max, the fan will slightly pressurize the car's interior. Enough that air will leak out of the car at the location of the bad seal. You pour soapy water over all the seals, and the escaping air will blow bubbles where it's leaking.

We do this at work to check pipe fittings for leaks - we get bottles of this stuff called Snoop, which is pretty much bubble soap with a squirt top. You can find even slow leaks with this stuff, just squirt it on all the pipe fittings and look for the bubbles.

Go Sabres!

Comment

I once found my trunk with about 1/2 in. of water, I was like WTF it hadn't rained in like a week... then I saw an empty ice bag floating in it...

whoops, last time I was at the track I just threw my 2 bags of ice into my trunk before my last run, then drove home after my run and forgot about them [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ May 17, 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
                        I once found my trunk with about 1/2 in. of water, I was like WTF it hadn't rained in like a week... then I saw an empty ice bag floating in it...

whoops, last time I was at the track I just threw my 2 bags of ice into my trunk before my first run, then drove home and forgot about them [img]smile.gif[/img]
                        [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X