Died when the wheel is turned left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Died when the wheel is turned left

Hey guys, my daughter’s car is driving me insane. It’s a 2000 Camaro Convertible, original series 2 3800 v6. Most of the time, the car runs great. No misses and idles good. But since October we have had a strange issue. Sometimes when you turn the steering wheel left, it will sputter and die. It’s not bogging down so I don’t think it’s the power steering, I feel like it’s electrical or fuel related. I’ve searched the car over for a bad ground, found one and replaced it. I’ve replaced the cam and crankshaft position sensors, new battery, oil pressure sending unit, blinker switch, behind the air bag, plugs and plug wires and fuel filter and fuel pump relay. Nothing. It may not do it for a week, then it might do it every day for a week. It will usually crank back up after you straighten the wheels, but sometimes you just have to let it sit a few hours and again, it runs just fine. No CEL lights, no stored codes. Help!

Have you tested the battery? I remember getting a big voltage drop when cranking the wheels lock to lock when you hit full turn. A big voltage drop on a weak battery or alternator could be the culprit?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      Have you tested the battery? I remember getting a big voltage drop when cranking the wheels lock to lock when you hit full turn. A big voltage drop on a weak battery or alternator could be the culprit?
      Yeah went ahead and replaced the battery because it seemed like the positive terminal wasn’t getting tight. I replaced the battery and the lugs. I’ve been wondering about the alternator, but I’ve checked it with a multimeter and it’s holding a steady 14v or more

Comment

Does it so that when you're at low speed or at idle?

If so then it might be your battery or alternator or both. I know you said that youve checked the alternator and replaced the battery, but check it again. Have someone turn the steering while you check to see if there's a drop in voltage.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
          Hello everyone!
          by Andy H
          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
          4 weeks ago
        • 3.4 slow to go
          hey there strangers!
          by 3.4 slow to go
          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X