Torque converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque converter

New to the group here, ive built and have multiple 3800 turbo cars in the fwd platforms but new to f-bodys. I have a 2001 camaro with the 3800 and 4l60e.Can someone please tell me if the torque converter differs from the ls1 v8 converter? I am looking at getting a higher stall converter but wasnt sure if i am trying to locate a v6 specific one. Looking for advise and links! Thank you!

Yes they are different. You can’t use the ls1/lt1 ones

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Is there a reputable manufacturer for v6 specific ones?

Comment

I got mine from TCI torque converters in 2015, look them up phone or text them. Performabuilt also has converters. I got a 3500 stall for my 1996 3.8 turbo Camaro. Haven’t driven it that much but so far I like it. Was thinking of a 3000 stall but thought I would try the 3500.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Mine was also a TCI, I don't think too many companies make them for the v6. But TCI and performabuilt would definitely be good places to start as Steve suggested.

Comment

Back in the day, S10 converters were used too. Don’t remember what year but they would stall to 3k, might do a search on it.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Im having a heck of a time finding information on the s-10 converter. Would it be from a later 90's 4.3l model?

Comment

Truthfully I would just use the tci or performabuilt ones. You want a higher STR to multiply that torque off the line more than what a factory stall will give you. The big advantage to the stall is what you get off the launch and the shift extension. Stock units won’t give you what an aftermarket unit will.

I only used TCI on my v6 and now have a Yank on my ls1 so I can’t comment on the s10 stalls. I know guys did use them though.

Have you tried calling TCI? I forget the offshoot company I bought mine through…

Comment

Yes use name brand companies, I bought my TCI through Abbot racing in 2015 but don’t know if they’re still around. Performabuilt you don’t need a vendor, probably the same for TCI . Just call them. Was just throwing S10 converters out there, believe it was 4 cylinder on the S10’s but don’t know the years. Stick with name brand, so you don’t have to worry about blowing up the transmission or something.

Comment

https://mods.firebirdv6.com/drivetrain.html

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                      Hello everyone!
                      by Andy H
                      Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                      4 weeks ago
                    • 3.4 slow to go
                      hey there strangers!
                      by 3.4 slow to go
                      been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X