Wire installation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire installation...

I have a 96 3.8 camaro. I ordered some MSD wires and they should be here soon. How hard is it to install the wires? It looked like some of the plugs were gonna be a pain to get to. Should i be able to do this myself even though im not all that knowledgable with the mechanical stuff? Is there anything difficult i should look for? Just to let you all know i already tried the search but didnt get an exact answer.
    1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

just match the numbers on the coils to the number cylinder, push till you hear a click. If you are standing in front of the car looking at the motor, 1,3,5 are on the right (driver) side from front to back, and 2,4,6 are on the left (passenger) side front to back, push till you feel it click on. if the car shutters under load, one or more wires aren't on correctly. Try again.

P.S. you should get a haynes manual if you dont already have one.
    96 3.8 red camaro. <br />headers,cam,valve springs,retainers,auburn lsd,3.73 gears,SLP cold air,accel coils,24lb injectors,8mm plug wires,air temp module,LT1 diveshaft,removed a/c,edelbrock torque arm,spohn LCA\'s and PHR

Comment

The MSD wires come with instructions. I dont have a manual for my car or anything cuz i got it used and of corse it didnt have one. I might go get one this weekend sometime.
      1996 Camaro -- SLP CAI, Motorvator TB spacer, MSD 8.5 mm wires, 180 thermostat, Pacesetter headers, Catco 3 in cat, TSP Rumbler, custom painted interior, 18x9.5 Z06 replica wheels, Nexen N3000 265/35r18 tires, - Best 1/4 mile 15.3@89mph

Comment

Originally posted by Will:
        The MSD wires come with instructions. I dont have a manual for my car or anything cuz i got it used and of corse it didnt have one. I might go get one this weekend sometime.
        just do one wire at a time

take aold of the coil put new on, you will feel it "click", the follow the same route as the old wire and pull it off the plug and click the new one on the plug. do that for every wire can't go wrong

before you start double check and make sure NONE are touching anything that gets hot. after every drive for the first few days pop the hood check them and make sure they didn't move or shift on to the exuast manafold or any thing thats hot

[ May 15, 2004, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: viper04af ]
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Viper speaks words of wisdom far beyond his years :D Honestly though, do one wire at a time, and take your time doing it. Be sure to put the wires back in the plastic guards and hook them back up to the wire looms attached to the engine (pay attention to how they're routed and how they're secured). Don't break them! I broke one of mine so now I just have to make sure the wires stay in the proper spot (damned old weak plastic, lol)
          Check out my stable of supercharged W-Bodies <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=136\" target=\"_blank\">HERE</a><br /><b>\'97 Pontiac GP GTP Coupe</b><br /><b>\'98 Regal GS | L67 3800 Series II</b>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X