Engine stutters under acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine stutters under acceleration

My car was running fine, except it had a muffler with a baffle loose, so I took it to Midas to replace it (it cost $130 with the muffler, so I didn't think it was too bad). The car was good...for the first day. Now it stutters when trying to quickly accelerate, and with the windows down you can hear what sounds almost like a popping noise coming from under the car (I'm not sure where because it won't do it when just parked and revving). One time when I floored it to 75 the SES light flashed for a few seconds, then stopped and hasn't since. Autozone can't scan it because it's not a solid light apparently.

I don't think it's the cat, because I just replaced it around 10k miles ago, and it worked absolutely fine until I replaced the muffler. Do you guys think it could possibly be the muffler? I'm having them order another one and try installing it to see if that fixes it. I'm wondering if it has something to do with it or if it's just sheer coincidence that on the same day I got it fixed something else died too.

Also, funny side story that tells you how much Midas knows about our cars: I take the tech out for a drive to demonstrate, and he says "well all high performance mufflers pop" and then I demonstrated it stuttering and he said "well it's probably because of the rev limiter" so I demonstrated that it was only at 3k rpm so he said "well the 6's aren't as powerful and aren't going to sound the same" so I informed him that I already had 3" piping on there so he finally said "well the computer probably can't make up for all the extra flow the muffler is providing." [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

They seem to be sticking with the 'blame the computer' excuse. I would hate, however, to say "I know you're wrong because I read a lot of camaro vee six dot com!" but I'd like to. ;)
    2000 Mystic Teal Firebird<br />Full 3\" exhaust, FRA, Aluminum Driveshaft

I don't quite understand what exactly is happening.
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

what kind of "high performance" muffler is it?
      3" piping is pretty big for a v6
      you need more air intake, maybe a cam and or heads for more air intake.
      I dont trust midass
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
        what kind of "high performance" muffler is it?
        3" piping is pretty big for a v6
        you need more air intake, maybe a cam and or heads for more air intake.
        I dont trust midass
        He'll be fine. Lots of V6s here run 3" piping.
        <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

yeah, so do I, but mine doesnt stutter
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Coil maybe? Mine would stutter under hard accel then get worse to the point that it would stutter at idle.
            \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Fuel filters are notorious for half plugging and under hard acceleration limiting the amount of fuel going to the engine. I'd start there as it is the cheapest part to replace.
              99 Firebird<br />On order: SLP CAI, Whisper Lid,<br />Flowmaster catback, K&N filter<br />50k

Comment

Re: Engine stutters under acceleration

midas will fix it... they re welded my cat back for me when it was rattling a little for free...

Comment

I can tell you for a fact 3" piping on a v6 means nothing. Does this discribe your problem? A loud rattling noise that comes sometimes when it rains or a heavy load on the car? or alot of rpms making the weight shift? I have 3" pipe on my v6 and under strain it used to rattle, but now after its dented the pipes slightly (haha no need for a mandrel bender when you can let it do it itself) its where the pipes wrap over the rear axel and it comes down far enough to tap it. Sometimes its even the pipe tapping on the driveshaft.

When I put in my flowmasters (dual exast v8 camaro version) I had to weld some adapters together to get it to work. Not sure what Midas did.
                  1996 Chev Camaro RS 3.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2233257/1</a>

Comment

clogged injectors or fuel filter?

i agree with the above post though, start with the fuel filter.
                    Last edited by Loochy88; 04-03-2006, 01:48 AM.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Well, if the SES light if flikering it must be somthing with the ignition.
                      I actualy had the same problem a while back.
                      Check arching spark plug wires, and when was the last time you changed the plugs? Mine turned out to be arching wires. So boght some new ones and re-routed them a little better to prevent arching.
                      ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

i agree, change the plugs. and fuel filter first, then look at wires

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X