Next Step for HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Step for HP

I posted an ad on f-body.com asking if anyone has a set of used headers for a 96 3.8, and someone wrote me back saying they can get me a new set for a decent price (under $300.00) including the Gaskets. I'll order them shortly once I can convince someone it'll help the economy (hee hee).
    I would like to ask if anyone out there has put a Performance Chip in their 3.8 car? Was it a diificult task to install, and do you feel a big performance boost? In other words; Was it worth the $$? ~I'm not worried about the SES Light, I diconnected it a LONG time ago~! Tell me I shouldn't have, go ahead. I got tired of seeing that *!#@ light come on for every little thing!
    Thanx for any help,
    -Marc.
    sigpic

they dont have performance chips for the 96 3.8

you better reconnect that code light, god knows whats going wrong with your car as we speak
    96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tyler:

you better reconnect that code light, god knows whats going wrong with your car as we speak[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I just got it out of the Chevy Shop 2 months ago. I went there and had the car serviced last 09-11-01 ( that dreadful day), and they made an appointment for me to come back about 6 months later to get the computer re-calibrated. All in all, the total cost came to $450.00 to get a TON of things fixed. IT BETTER BE RUNNING TOP NOTCH!
      sigpic

Comment

you ever hear that saying "**** happens"

well its true. you better cross your fingers cause anything can happen.
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

yo hockeyman, what brand are those headers that you are going to get? and where can you get them? the cheapest i have found are the RKSport headers for $495. But i have heard nothing but complaints about them because they supposedly leak because there is only ttwo connecting bolts and they leak or somethin....i want headers but not for $500-$600.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
          1996 Red Camaro 3.8L<br />Details, you say? Go here.<br /><a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/trek/brl866s/camaro.html\" target=\"_blank\">Slick Red</a><p>\"A Great Warrior defeats his enemies by smashing their fists with his face.\" - A Great Warrior

Comment

Treklav, I'll sent it to you via email. I'm not sure if this guy wants me to give his email out on this board just yet. I'll ask him if it's OK the next time we talk.
            -Marc
            sigpic

Comment

headers are only useful if you are getting plenty of air into the engine to combust. otherwise you're pi$$ing away exh backpressure that is useful in drawing in intake mixture during valve overlap on intake stroke.

match intake ports (upper and lower) with cylinder head ports (this procedure is sometimes called porting and polishing, but those terms seem to imply the removal of a lot of metal... only remove a little...) then get head work done, like 3 angle valve job, new camshaft (possible substitute is changing ratio for rocker arms), possibly raise compression a bit by milling head (keep in mind the machine shop will have to mill intake to match milled heads so the angles will be correct when finished and everything will mount correctly.)
              more air in, more compression. THEN your weakest link may be exhaust system. just slapping headers on there may very well hurt performance rather than help it.
              also remember that in doing mods that change the amount of air the engine can breathe in or in changing compression ratio, you'll need to go with higher octane fuel and possibly (depending on the extent of your mods) cooler plugs and higher flowing injectors.
              polish intake runners, match intake ports to head ports, 3-angle valve job, and possibly a little head milling (or just a bit thinner head gasket used to slightly raise compression) should give you very noticable hp and tq increase while still using ac platinum plugs and running 89 octane fuel. and if you do the r+r of the cyl heads yourself, it will end up costing you less than the price of crappy rk sport headers.
              plus there's nothing more satisfying to tearing into your engine to really "get to know it." i've "bonded" with every engine i've dug into.
              just remember if you do decide to "port and polish," don't port yourself right into a water jacket. be very moderate. you want to smoothe and contour, not grind away. this is a precision operation...

i know a guy with a 92 RS (3.23 rear, t-5 trans)that he put a 1st generation 3800 in. he built the 3800 using stock crank and pistons but he had some custom head work done and he bumped compression a bit. he also is using a SLIGHTLY more agressive cam. he consistently hangs with the lt-1's from the light as well as from a roll. the ls-1's slowly pull from him, especially those with the "performance axle ratio", but it just proves you can get a lot from just engine work.

remember: more air/fuel needs to go in before you'll even need to consider getting more exhaust out.
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Hey Strange_trp, I didn't realize there was that much involved in the HP increase!! I'm trying to get myself out of the federal budget deficit (I'M BROKE) now. I guess I'm looking to get too much from my V6, without thinking about what's involved in squeezing out HP. I'm not really interested in keeping up with the LT1's that much. Although, it would be nice. I'll put the headers on the back burner for now until I become rich and famous...so I can finally afford most of that.
                Thanks for the help!
                Marc.
                sigpic

Comment

it doesn't all have to be done at once.
                  take a system approach to adding HP. a lot of people on here just throw a lot of bolt-ons at their cars and wonder why they're still in the mid 15's. right now i'd concentrate on ways to get more air sucked in and compressed more tightly in combustion chamber. this is where the meat and potatoes of HP increase is.
                  ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strange_trp:
                    it doesn't all have to be done at once.
                    take a system approach to adding HP. a lot of people on here just throw a lot of bolt-ons at their cars and wonder why they're still in the mid 15's. right now i'd concentrate on ways to get more air sucked in and compressed more tightly in combustion chamber. this is where the meat and potatoes of HP increase is.
                    <hr></blockquote>

I think he means intake and exhaust.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X