whoa wait a minute... oil change light - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whoa wait a minute... oil change light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoa wait a minute... oil change light

does my car have an oil change light?

or did they only put this on the later camaros??

Do you have an owner's manual? If not, here you go: http://cv6.fakeleg.com/owner_manuals.php

No, you don't have one.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

nope, i dont have the manual.

and it sucks, i kinda wanted one :(

Comment

Originally posted by victimizati0n:

Now you do have one. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        Matt
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:

Now you do have one. [img]tongue.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]what i have the oil light now???? [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

hehe.

Comment

Manual as in the book. Not the trans.
            Red 1998 Camaro<br />Mods so far=<br />K&N

Comment

Originally posted by Stock98camaro:
              Manual as in the book. Not the trans.
              yes, i know

the want won thing had to do with the oil light.

Comment

no, you do not have an oil change light, but you do have a LOW OIL light.
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
                  no, you do not have an oil change light, but you do have a LOW OIL light.
                  which only comes on when i first start the car, right?

I heard that i can lose all oil pressure, and just the check engine light will come on or something

Comment

Now that you have an owner's manual, you can look it up. ;)

Low Oil Light
                    This warning light should come on while you are starting your engine. If the light doesn’t come on, have it repaired.

If the light stays on after starting your engine, your engine oil level may be too low. You may need to add oil. See "Engine Oil" in the Index.

NOTICE:
                    The oil level monitoring system only checks the oil level when you are starting your engine. It does not keep monitoring the level once the engine is running. Also, the oil level check only works when the engine has been turned off long enough for the oil to drain back into the oil pan.
                    Who would have imagined a Low Oil light means you're low on oil? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    Matt

Comment

What exactly does the change oil light mean technically? I mean when I bought my camaro it was 1.5k miles after the last oil change and the oil change light came on. I assumed that previous owner just forgot to reset it something, but to be safe I changed it anyways and reset it myself.

The manual says that it doesn't go by mileage. What I don't understand is why you have to reset if it isn't based on mileage.

Comment

It's not based on mileage, but it is based on a bunch of other stuff (time, temp, throttle, load, etc). It considers all those factors and decides when the oil may be getting to the point that it needs changed. It really doesn't know how the oil is...it just guesses. You have to reset it so that it'll start over again.
                        Matt

Comment

LanGamer,

The change oil light is based on engine hours, your driving style, and the type of driving you do [short trips, highway driving, etc]. It's a mathematical algorithm that estimates when your oil is clapped out.

It doesn't actually analyze the oil, it just estimates when its life is over. I use it as an oil change reminder of last resort [usually change it earlier and just reset it]. The last time I didn't reset it, the indicator took 4800 miles to illuminate.

&lt;sorry 98camaro, we must have been typing at the same time&gt;
                          \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Originally posted by terminaldegree:
                            &lt;sorry 98camaro, we must have been typing at the same time&gt;
                            Just glad I said the same thing as you. You're the resident oil expert around here. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            Matt

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
                              Who would have imagined a Low Oil light means you're low on oil? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                              What the heck is common sense? explain That!

You can see if you have an oil light at any time(startup is the best time though)

In HP Tuners it shows the Oil Life % value, but I never go by that.
                              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X