This a good start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This a good start?

Well guys I got my V6 bird. Its a 1999 non-Y87. Well the point of this point is to ask where I should start, this will be the first car that I will have done modifications to.
    I was thinking that I should bring the car up to Y87 specs namely getting a LSD installed and getting that tighter steering ratio. At the same time of installing the LSD I think i'de also like to get some 3.42s.
    Further down the line would be a catback and cai.
    Does this sound like a good start?

good plan, LSD - highly recomended!

Comment

lsd & gears is one of the bigger improvements.
      Do you drive highway often? If not, I would get 3.73s
      One of the first things people recommend is intake & exhaust.

Its your thing, do whatcha wanna do.
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

i would say full intake and exhaust. that is the best bang for your buck in the long run and you'll get power out of it.
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Are you stick or auto?
          If you have a stick, I'd recommend a shifter pretty soon. It makes driving it more fun for sure.

Congrats on the new car.
          \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Sounds like a great start to me. As far as the gears go decide what you want to do with the car and go from there. If gas milage isn't a concern you could bump that up a little, but otherwise I would say it's a pretty good choice.

Look into all the free mods for your car too. You can shave your lid and do the free ram air mod. That will hold you over until you get some more power mods.

Comment

steering ratio is 14/1.
              that is already a 'car dudes' steering ratio and not a 'granny steering ratio'

let me know when you come across that steering ratio upgrade, ok? ;)

start off by decoding your door codes. just becuase the car is not y87 does not mean you don't have things like 3.42 gears, etc.
              01 Firebird A4 3.42
              Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
              and other mods
              Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by grayman:
                steering ratio is 14/1.

No, stock is 16.9:1 and the Y87 is 14.4:1 (same as a V8). But it really is not worth the money for this "upgrade".
                Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT:
                  </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by grayman:
                  steering ratio is 14/1.

No, stock is 16.9:1 and the Y87 is 14.4:1 (same as a V8). But it really is not worth the money for this "upgrade". </font>[/QUOTE]Well my old 82 was 12.7:1 its a huge difference for me.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
                    lsd & gears is one of the bigger improvements.
                    Do you drive highway often? If not, I would get 3.73s
                    One of the first things people recommend is intake & exhaust.

Its your thing, do whatcha wanna do.
                    Unfortunately in the near future I might be making 100+ mile trips quite often and i'de hate to be chewing up my engine.

So do you all think I should do the intake and exhaust firstly before gears and lsd? To me gears and lsd are the backbone to everything else and thus you need that proper support before doing actual output mods. Does that sorta make sense?

Comment

I would agree with doing intake & exhaust first.
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X