2001 maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobbyZ72:
    victimizati0n: you need glasses, i NEVER told someone not to change their engine oil......

Yes you did, you said something like fresh oil will clean a high milage engine that has not had regular oil changes and leave pits where the dirt used to be, and your engine will fall apart. im 100% positve, because i remember every one tell you, you were crazy.
    uh, i was talking about a transmission, not an engine

Comment

thanks for all the suggestions.

I appreciate the discussion

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:
        do not change the tranny oil unless you know it has been done.
        great explanation there &lt;&lt;---- Being Sarcastic

oh, so you are trying to say that if you do a flush it will remove all the dirt and debris from all the small areas? That might make the tranny to start slipping? &lt;&lt;---- Being Serious
        </font>[/QUOTE]
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by slow6:
          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by victimizati0n:
          do not change the tranny oil unless you know it has been done.
          great explanation there &lt;&lt;---- Being Sarcastic

oh, so you are trying to say that if you do a flush it will remove all the dirt and debris from all the small areas? That might make the tranny to start slipping? &lt;&lt;---- Being Serious
          </font>[/QUOTE]
          </font>[/QUOTE]yes, that is exactly what im saying, and that is exactly what will happen (ecept your tranny wolnt slip, it will start grinding up)

Comment

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] &lt;&lt;shakes head side to side.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

70k is exactly when I had my fluid changed. To be fair it wasn't a tranny shop - it was a dealership. I had to go there because the Jiffy Lube type places didn't have the equipment to flush a 300ZX - but they would do domestic cars no problem. The dealer I think actually pressure flushed it, and that was over 35k miles ago. The current owner says it is still running good.
              \'01 Camaro Vert ~ Black on Teal (but Mean Green in the sun)

Comment

RE: Tranny:
                GM service interval for tranny drain, filter change and fluid refill is 50K miles. (adjust downward if hard driving, towing, police or taxi)
                What to do: Just have the fluid 'drained' and the filter replaced....dont have the tranny 'power flushed' nor 'vac flushed.' You want to keep some of the old tranny fluid in there. A shop will know what I am talking about.

RE; Brakes:
                don't take the owners word on the brakes. the outside pads are just 'spacers.' The brake piston are on the inside. Those inside pads bare most of the braking. They will typically wear out much faster than the outside pad. just get under there...or take the wheel off and inspect the inner pads.

GM rates the spark plugs for 50k miles. even if the owner changed them....you still have 25k mlles on them so maybe change those now and start off fresh. As for wires visually inspect them. if they are stock then they are black, have a 'straight boot' at the spark plug end with metal heat sheilds on each boot. recommend replacing with stock wires and save those heat shields and re use them.

Check air filter...it should be 'more clean than dirty' and be able to see light passing through it.

DONT SEAFOAM!!!!!!! (excuse my yelling...) your 2000 car has delphi multec2 fuel injectors. do not seafoam your car nor add cleaning additives to your gas tank. GM makes a particular 'cleaner' for the multec injector cars.

for all your basic parts like coil packs, starters , alternators, etc i recommend you avoid the cheap stuff from many auto part chains. napa usually has high quality parts in this regards as compared to other chains. I also highly recommend actuall GM parts from www.gmpartsdirect.com

when and if you need to change things like the manifold O2 sensors get BOTH of them at the same time...same brand. don't run different brands. again consider gm part vs ' the cheapest you can find'

go here an download my 2001 firebird owners manual if you did not get an owners manual with your car. the 2001 model will be very similar to your 2000.
                http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/gmtech-ref.htm

good luck with the new ride. even though it is a camaro i am sure it will treat you well for a very long time. ;)
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods
                Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Damn partial firebird owners *shakes fist*

heh just kidding greyman, love your ride.

Anyway, I did a tranny fluid swap in my 98 without previous knowledge of any servicing. No problems as of yet. (well over 6k later)

Think of it this way. I think guys get way flustered with transmissions, especially automatics. My brother has never even dropped the pan on one cause hes basically afraid of it and hes been through entire engines before in his old suburban. Changing the fluid is not going to hurt anything. There is no possible way it will hurt anything if it is changed properly. The fluid is meant to lubricate the gears and provide hydraulic preassure in the valves and torque converter. All these horror stories about seals and bands being ground up are number one.. either already happened, or going to happen anyway and have just been hiding waiting to present themselves, or two are a result of flushing or purging the whole quantity of fluid which WILL forcefully remove any deposits as well as pieces of seals that have broken down and other parts as well.

Theres a reason they make high milage transmission fluid.
                  3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X