Belt to use without Power Steering?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belt to use without Power Steering??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt to use without Power Steering??

Well I came into a very bad and un-timely issue. I am about 200 miles away from home currently, my power steering pump just went out AGAIN, I'm taking the mechanic to court! But beyond that, the pulley on the pump just literally came off, and it caused the belt to break. I have to get back home within the next 2 days here and don't have too many other options.

Thinking about putting a smaller belt on the car for now to get back that would work without running it to the power steering pump. Anyone know what belt I would need to do this? And if there is anything tricky I might have to do as far as running the belt?

Thanks in advance!
    1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Buy a couple belts, see whick one fits the best, take the rest back. Use the broken belt, as a measuring device, go around every thing you need, do this so you can get an idea of the sizes of belts to buy.
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

take a piece of string, wrap it how you'd wrap the drivebelt, take off string, measure string.
      thats how ya do it

..."the pulley on the pump just literally came off..."
      the shaft broke off? or the pulley itself broke?
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Yep, I'd use the string method. I honestly can't remember the stock belt wrap on our cars since I've had the blower for so long, but hopefully you can just omit the power steering pulley and run the belt in the same basic way around the other pulleys. Remember the last 4 numbers on a belt are its length, so this will help at the parts store. 1038 = 103.8 inches, etc.
        \'98 Camaro V6<br />Appearance... pleasing<br />Performance... just a little extra air.

Comment

Ya I didn't even think about messureing the damn thing until after I posted, right after I thought of that much. But now its too dark and I have no garage or even a dang light so I have to wait till morning

Worse yet and un-thought, I get to thinking to fast when I get pissed about something *like a lack of a mechanics ability to complete thier job correctly when give 5 attempts*, I have to look now and see if I can even do it without getting an idle arm so my belt can run correctly, worried about the water pump mainly..

Comic Relief- Maybe if I just wrap a bunch of thread about it and then use a bungy cord or 2 it will work...... Know what I'll be some good ole DUCK TAPE will work perfectly!
          1995 Camaro 3.4 A4<br /><br />CAI,IAT Relocate

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X