Do the 3.8's have the problem with Intake manifolds leaking? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the 3.8's have the problem with Intake manifolds leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the 3.8's have the problem with Intake manifolds leaking?

I've been talking to some people who have had this problem with 3.8's but I can't ever remember hearing one about a Camaro. Something about a plastic intake that corrodes. Our intake manifolds are not plastic are they? Do they have a leak problem?

uh lower intake gasket looks like it is plastic, yes. I just replaced mine, hopefully it will seal.
    Do they corrode? I dont know
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I was thinking of doing the EGR reroute to remove carbon deposit from intake, and to lower intake temps (possibly saving intake gaskets??)?
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

The gaskets are plastic, i just replaced mine the other week because they were leaking coolant. I think my problem was that the bolts started getting loose, but i had to remove every thing anyways to tighten them. So i just replaced them anyways. I too im fixing to do the egr delete. My intakes, and injectors were a mess because to this this thing.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Yes, the GM 3.8 is notorious for springing an upper intake maifold gasket leak allowing coolant to leak on the front of the engine. Other GM cars with the 3.8 actually have it listed as a common problem in Consumer Guide. Mine went bas at 38,000 miles, I complained to GM, and they split the cost with me even though the warranty was expired. They only do that it's a common problem. In fact, if you look here http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=102&ptset=A you'll ntoice it says 2nd design meaning the inital design was flawed and they had to revise it. The revised design should not leak.
          1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

funny Ive never heard of the problem on our engines, just transverse mounted engines....Grand prix, buick, and such, big problem with those cars....never heard of it on our engines though.

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
            05' CTS-V
            00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

I never saw "2nd design". That looks like the set I bought from Oreillys for $39.99

I broke one of the intake bolts off inside my intake from overtightening. I need a new Torque Wrench.

Comment

The most common problem with the 3.8 series II's are the plastic upper intake manifold warping due to the heat of the EGR passages. It eventually warps enough that some of the coolant lines between the throttle body and the upper intake start leaking coolant into the intake itself.

Our cars do NOT have this style of upper intake manifold, thankfully. The FWD 3.8 series II's do have it [trust me, I've had to fix one before...].
                \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

So it is mostly the FWD cars then. I wondered why I have never heard anyone complaining on these message boards.

I had an anti freeze leak that looked like it could be the intake but it was just a little plastic elbow that corroded out.

Comment

yeah, its just the FWD cars really
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I AM COMPLAINING NOW @ 33k miles.

Comment

Yeah I had the problem too @ 38,000 miles...it's probably more common on the FWD 3.8's but it obviously happens on ours too. I also know that the FWD 3.4's (not the F-body 3.4's) have this problem very often too.
                        1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X