octane boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octane boost

i heard that octane boost causes a longer burn with a bigger explosion, does this sound right?
    Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

If you put octane boost in, your car is going to be realy, really, really less likely to detonate. Plus, it will be really expensive compared to putting in premium fuel. I say... GO FOR IT [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

save your money

Comment

Octane is not for power boost. See FTC report on octane:The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline
        John<br />98 Firebird,V6,A4,Navy Blue Metallic,Y87, K&N Filter,<br />Whisper Lid, Whisper CAI,<br />Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP P245/50ZR16<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbody.com/members/98navybird/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fbody.com/members/98navybird/index.htm</a>

Comment

then that clears that one up
          Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

as a matter of fact...I've always ran on 87...just put 93 in (on an empty tank so there was as little mixing as possible) and I noticed NO DIFFERENCE. Don't bother. I freaked out when $20 wasn't enough to fill my tank! :eek: I'm going to fill it up later and put 87 back in

Comment

whats he mean when he says "your engine will knock"
              Camaro 95 3.4L M5<br />Flowmaster 80srs<br />Catco High Flo Cat<br />Slp CAI<br />Prime wheels

Comment

Aaaaaaargh....

'Octane Boost' will do absolutely nothing for you. The points that they describe on the bottle actually mean TENTHS of a point. If, on the bottle, it says "Guaranteed to increase octane by 8 points!", and you normally run 93.0 octane...congratulations! You just spent 10 bucks to have 93.8 octane gasoline. Money is MUCH better spent elsewhere, like 93 octane premium gas, which I, personally, would NEVER run without.

IMO, not worth a glance at the auto parts store.

[ May 02, 2002: Message edited by: RamAir95TA ]</p>
                Big cam. Big stall. Big nuts.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethal.net/vids2/joenastycam.MPG\" target=\"_blank\">Idle/Rev Clip.</a>

Comment

On higher power engines the octane can help. They have ran tests and gained like 5-10hp this is from like chevy highperformance.
                  1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

Here's the way that I understand it.

Higher octane fuel burns less easily than high octane fuel. That being said:

If your car is "set up" to run on premium fuel (high compression and/or aggressive timing) then you will lose performance running on non-premium fuel. What happens is the computer will sense the premature combustion of fuel due to higher volatility of lower octane gas and will reatard the timing, hence, reducing performance.

If your car is set up to run on 87 octane fuel, putting in high octane fuel will do absolutely nothing because your timing is pre-programmed to "expect" early combustion of fuel. The later combustion will not change actual timing, hence, no performance gain. Possibly your engine will run a little smoother.

In summary, unless your engine is "tuned" to run on high ocatane, premium is a waste of $$$.
                    \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

OOPS! What I meant to say in the first line of my previous post was "Lower ocatane fuel combusts more easily than high octane fuel"
                      \'01 Camaro M5 1SA \"Lightweight\" hardtop, Bright Red, Ebony cloth, FRA, Whisper Lid, B&B cat-back, Torsen 3.73 LSD, HPPIII (93 octane setting)<p>\'00 Camaro SS M6 T-Top, all GM and most SLP opts., Bright Red, Ebony leather, 4.10s, SLP long tubes, Loudmouth, CNC Stage II H/C, etc.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CamaroBill:

If your car is "set up" to run on premium fuel (high compression and/or aggressive timing) then you will lose performance running on non-premium fuel. What happens is the computer will sense the premature combustion of fuel due to higher volatility of lower octane gas and will reatard the timing, hence, reducing performance.
                        <hr></blockquote>

This is what I try to explain to my friend who has an Eagle Talon AWD TSi. Fool has a pot of gold sitting under him and doesn't even realize it. He always fills up with 87 octane even though his gas gauge says "Premium Fuel ONLY" lol

Comment

Ok, I know it's all already been said, but I'll throw my two cents in here as well.

Octane is a Combustion Inhibitor, the more octane in gas, the more it will take to detonate. For high Compression engines, as well as turbo and supercharger applications, this is needed. While the gas is under a higher pressure (Due to the high compression ratio or the forced induction) it might combust before the spark goes off. This is what is called "Knock". The Higher octane is used to inhibit this knock. If you don't have engine knock, you don't need High octane gas, plain and simple. In fact, the higher octance can cause some of the gas to not be burnt in the combustion chamber, resulting in LESS power and LOWER fuel economy.

In short, save your money and get the cheap stuff.
                          -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

Ok let me under stand something here : you say the nock comes from the gas at high octane " it might combust before the spark goes off " so what your tring to say is that you get a diseal efect in your engine? You will only get the Knock when your running an engine with high compresion and a long stroke.. The gas will combust in the chamber pushing the exaust valve open faster then shut right away... I am not saying I am an expert I might be remembering that wrong but eny ways in the engines that we have don't need high octane becuase of the gas air ratio not becuase of knocking....

Comment

No, it has nothing to do with the air/fuel ratio. The octane in the gas is simply a detonation inhibitor. The knock comes from using a gas that is too low for the compression ratio of your engine. That is why race cars use a higher octance fuel. They run with a much higher compression ratio.
                              -Jason<br />Black 1993 Pontiac Firebird -Retired<br />Black 2002 Pontiac Trans Am -Sold-<br />Green 1996 Corvette Convertible -Sold-<p>In the market for \'67-\'73 Firebird!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X