Is there a way of figuring out if a Sensor is going bad? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way of figuring out if a Sensor is going bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way of figuring out if a Sensor is going bad?

I thought my 3rd gen's fuel pump was going out because the car was very sluggish and the pump was still original and there were no codes, but it turned out it was just the Temp. cooling sensor. No wonder the fan kept kicking in. Now the car runs fine.

No codes came up from my OBD I scanner. I know that I could use an electrical meter to check each one, but how do I go about doing this with the sensors? Is there another way?

Re: Is there a way of figuring out if a Sensor is going bad?

On the sensors you should be able to check the voltage on each one. Should be around .5 or some where close. Thats about all I know how to check them.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Depends on which sensor you are checking. The temperature sensors are checked by temperature and resistance readings. You would have to find out what the sensor is rated at. The map sensor, throttle position sensor and some other sensors have a 5 volt dc reference signal and a sensor output voltage that changes with resistance. These sensors usually have 3 wires. I bought a sensor checker at pep boys years ago.

Comment

Thanks guy. Unfortunately the way I figured it out was through a mechanic's $5,000 scanner. My regular Autozone OBD I scanner just doesn't pick up anything.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X