key won't turn to start car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• key won't turn to start car

I went to start my car the other day and the key would not turn at all. I tried moving the steering wheel while trying to turn the key and nothing. Later on I sprayed some electrical spray cleaner on the key and that seemed to do the trick. A couple days later the same thing happened but this time I couldn't get the key turn at all with the spray. Anyone know what the problem could be? Car is 2000 Firebird auto. Thanks
    <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Re: key won't turn to start car

I'm assuming your steering wheel is unlocked, chances are you're going to need to replace the whole key cylinder. Your pin is stuck up with a broken spring. That's why you can't rotate it to start your car. This is a typical problem with GM cars.

Comment

is that a dealer only part?
      <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

I think it is. They may have to synchronize it with your key.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
          Hello everyone!
          by Andy H
          Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
          4 weeks ago
        • 3.4 slow to go
          hey there strangers!
          by 3.4 slow to go
          been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X