Lack of power / Hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of power / Hesitation

Seems to run just fine, but sometimes it seems like it’s missing and takes longer to shift; like power drops and trans just doesn’t shift. Deff noticeable on bridges (or likely hills for those of you not living on flat earth), but not at all times. It is way more prevalent with the AC on.
    Giving it more throttle seems to smooth it out, sometimes letting off and letting it shift and throttle again will make it go away too; but only for that moment. It is random as in I can have a day where it happens here and there, or not happen for days. It always only lasts a couple of moments; otherwise runs fantastic.

So this is warm, under load, under light throttle or accelerating, conditions.
    Plugs are fairly new. PCV is clean.
    New Throttle Body (includes TPS, no IAC), ICM, Coils, EGR, EGR pipe.
    No CAT; noticeable change when removed.
    All fuel pressure tests were good.
    No codes

A couple of months ago it ran hot (issue existed before) while driving though mountains and noticed the fan wasn't working, apparently the previous owner half assed a wire to batt. I noticed some puddling of antifreeze on the intake, behind the alt. I added water, kept running warm while in the area but not hot. Haven't had an issue since being back in flat Florida. How would this AF get in this location? Is this issue related somehow? Anyone have the diagram for the fan?

Fuel Pressure test;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scYd...ature=youtu.be
    Harmonic balancer;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppci...ature=youtu.be
    Engine running noise;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33t...ature=youtu.be

2002 3.8 Firebird
    Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 09-21-2015, 04:06 PM.
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Re: Lack of power / Hesitation

I have the same issues on my 2000 3.8 Camaro....I had the cat convertor changed a few weeks ago...and ERG value replaced too...I get the hesitation in start off and I am just learning to live with it. I am in Central Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
      I have the same issues on my 2000 3.8 Camaro....I had the cat convertor changed a few weeks ago...and ERG value replaced too...I get the hesitation in start off and I am just learning to live with it. I am in Central Florida.
      Im starting to lean toward an intake gasket leak. Apparently it's a common issue.
      sigpic

Comment

After listening to those videos it sounds more like a valve noise to me. Your springs might be worn out.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
          After listening to those videos it sounds more like a valve noise to me. Your springs might be worn out.
          How would it run perfectly fine other times?
          sigpic

Comment

It's hard to say why it can run OK one day and crappy the next. I'm guessing bad valves can mess up timing and make it run crappy. I did notice the slight pause on your crank/harmonic there.

Have you used a mechanical statoscope to listen in in order to pin point where the noise is coming from?

You can take a metal pipe too and place your ear on it to listen to the noise.
            Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
              Hello everyone!
              by Andy H
              Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
              4 weeks ago
            • 3.4 slow to go
              hey there strangers!
              by 3.4 slow to go
              been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X