Need advice/tips on tune up on 02 Camaro V6 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice/tips on tune up on 02 Camaro V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice/tips on tune up on 02 Camaro V6

I think I'm going to help my son do a minor tune up on his 02 Camaro 3.8 V6. I've been doing some research and seeing many horror stories about how hard the plugs are to get out but they look fairly accessible to me (see pics). Is there anything special? How do you pull the plug wire/boot/heat shield off? I don't want to screw anything up.

Also any tips on changing the fuel filter? I read I should relieve the pressure at the Schrader valve then just unscrew the front and pinch the backend and pull it off? Is it that easy?

I have a 68 Camaro 350 and enjoy working on it but anything with a computer scares me.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Need advice/tips on tune up on 02 Camaro V6

pics are not showing up??
    Attached Files

Comment

If all you're going to do is change plugs and the fuel filter, then your fear of working on cars with computers is unfounded because those two tasks won't have you anywhere near a computer.

Changing the plugs on a 3.8 is a lot like changing them in your old Camaro except there are two less plugs.

The fuel filter is a little more difficult but, again, there's no computers involved. Wait until you have a quarter tank or less fuel. Release the fuel pressure by either waiting overnight or by pushing in the schrader valve on the fuel pressure test port.

Jack of the back of the car and support it on stands. The fuel filter is on the left side where the frame kicks up to go over the axle. It's easy to change. Remove the screw holding the filter bracket. Unscrew the nut on one end and release the quick disconnect on the other. Slide the old filter out and slide the new filter in. Reconnect the fuel lines. Reinstall the filter bracket.

Comment

We tackled it today. Not bad. The fuel filter was real easy. The plugs were a little more of a challenge but we could get to them without any real hassle. The regular shop I use wanted $440 for plugs, wires, fuel filter and oil change. Midas wanted $85 for just the fuel filter. Both seemed pretty high to me.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X