96 V6 firebird rapid mifire/hesitation/sputtering - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

96 V6 firebird rapid mifire/hesitation/sputtering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 V6 firebird rapid mifire/hesitation/sputtering

Hello all! I'm new to this forum, but am having some difficulties with my firebird and was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction! (sorry for the long post, but trying to be descriptive!)

1996 firebird V6 – 160000 miles. I recently developed an issue with sputtering/missing out upon acceleration under load. The car starts fine, idles fine (around 750 rpm), and doesn’t miss a beat if running it in park with no load. When driving the car, it runs perfect and has full power with no “missing out” for about 5-10 minutes up until it reaches close to operating temperature. After the engine is warm, I can lightly accelerate up to any speed with no hesitation whatsoever. When I try to really step on it, or hit the pedal far enough to kick it down a gear and rev the RPM’s up, the car will sputter/hesitate/miss out/ whatever you wanna call it. Sometimes it will come out of it enough to continue revving, but sometimes not. It is especially bad if it is lugging in overdrive and then I try to kick the pedal down. If I let off the gas and accelerate easy again, no problems.

Had similar issues last year and pulled my coils off and checked the resistance of each, finding one that check wide open on the high output leads, therefore, obvious/easy fix. Now I have one aftermarket cheapie coil, and two original to the car with 160,000 miles on them. I assumed I had a bad coil pack again based upon the description of my problem above.

I pulled all three coils and checked them with an ohmmeter again…both factory coils check .6 ohms on the primary side, and 5100 ohms on the high side (both within spec). The aftermarket coil that I put on last year checked .9 ohms on the primary, and around 10,000 ohms on the high side (also in spec). I pulled and rechecked again after they were nice and hot after driving around for awhile and they checked the same as before. So…I’m ruling out a bad coil pack.

I’ve had a check engine light for a while due to the EVAP system, but I went and had my codes scanned and got a P1406-EGR pintle position error. I pulled the EGR valve to clean it, but it wasn’t really carboned up or anything, and the pintle moved nice and freely throughout it’s entire range. I cleaned it and made sure that the lines to the intake and the header were clear as well…no change in the condition. I’ve also just unplugged it completely and it ran exactly the same. Anyway, my experience with EGR valves is that they usually stick open and cause rough idle and not affect performance in normal driving.

I’ve pulled and cleaned the MAF sensor to no change, and also ran the car with the MAF unplugged with no change.

I’ve pulled/cleaned the PCV valve with no change.

I've unplugged every sensor with the exception of the o2 sensors hoping it kept the car in an "open loop" situation and still has the sputtering. The only sensor that changed anything was the TPS sensor which made the transmission not shift from first.

Ive sprayed water around anywhere that I thought there could be a vacuum leak but haven’t found anything including around the intake.

I’ve tried finding an arcing plug wire in the dark but nothing is obvious.

Do any of you experts out there have any suggestions based upon the symptoms, and the things I have already done? My dad told me last night it sounds like and “open” plug wire and told me to pull each wire and check the resistance with the Ohmmeter, saying a bad one should have almost no resistance. To me, this problem has to be electrical, either a plug, a non-obvious plug wire, or a sensor somewhere, but I would think it would throw a code of some sort??? I am not getting any misfire codes. What about the ICM? Can that be checked with a meter? I know there are probably 25 different things that could cause this condition, but looking for the most common. To me, the key has to be that the car runs perfect until it reaches 180 degrees on the temp gauge!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: 96 V6 firebird rapid mifire/hesitation/sputtering

Want you do not list is replacing the spark plugs....did you check a clogged C.Convertor?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. No, I have not replaced the plugs yet. I agree that the plugs and the wires are definitely the first things I should have probably replaced! How do I check for a clogged cat? If it were clogged, would it still have full power/no sputtering when the motor is cold like it does?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhof View Post
        How do I check for a clogged cat? If it were clogged, would it still have full power/no sputtering when the motor is cold like it does?
        You can take a rubber mallet and tap it. If it rattles inside then that's your culprit. If your cat is bolt on then take it off and inspect it. See how much debris too have accumulated in there over time. I just replace the Cat on my 89 Bird 3 weeks ago, because the new Calif. law requires me to have CARB complaint Cat and the one I used to have was obsolete. I replaced it with Magnaflow and I can't believe I gain at mid to top end. My old Cat which was only 6-7 years old was full of debris. Now the car breathes better.

It just sounds like to me you're experiencing a lean condition. This may have something to do with your fuel pump. It wouldn't be a bad idea though to change your Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Filter too.

But I agree with Palmharbor, look into plugs first and see what condition they are in.

Comment

Until you do the plugs and wires to rule them out I'm stumped due to the fact in your last sentence you state car runs fine until it hits 180 degrees. That rules out many suggestions I would normally come up with, like fuel filter . However with 160,000 miles I would check it along with the suggestion of cat converter. To check your fuel filter relieve pressure in engine compartment at the shrader valve( looks like tire valve) on drivers side fuel line to injectors. Then when you remove it from underneath car put it on bench and reverse flow onto a clean piece of cloth to see what comes out. If it comes out clean in reverse flow test then it's ruled out. The intake gaskets are easy enough to check by coolant level and temp gauge. If your not losing ANY fluid ever and temp gauge is CONSTANT normal your good there too but if your losing a little fluid with no apparent leaks ( 1/4 gallon a month for example) then you' ve found your culprit. They are one of the things that when car warms up then they leak so definetly check your fluid level . 160,000 miles and gm ORIGINAL gaskets on a 3.8 equals leak. The only good news on that is the aftermarket gaskets fix problem permanently.

Comment

Well, I hadnt gotten around to messing with the car today. Borrowed a scanner from a guy at work. While I was driving home yesterday, i decided to hammer it going down the interstate and kept it hammered for about 10 seconds during the rapid sputtering. What do you know, it was enough for the check engine light to flash, and it FINALLY gave me a misfire code P0301. Stopped and bought plugs and wires on the way home from work today. Put a new plug and a new wire on cylinder 1 and the problem is gone!! Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions! Now to try to get the rest of the plugs/wires...what a tight squeeze in there!

Comment

That's good. Yes two of the plugs you can do above and the rest you have to go to the bottom.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X