I am an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am an idiot

Well I went and did the free ram air mod on my 2000 3800 firebird. when I looked at the MAF screen I thought it was restrictive and ripped it out :twak:... now about 15 "check engine" lights later telling me the system is to lean, I need the screen back but can't find ANY without buying the hole MAF. help...

Re: I am an idiot

Try GMpartsdirect.com its like $12. Let me see if I can find the part #.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Doesn't a straight TB do Ok without the screen than an angle one?

I know several guys here have theirs removed. And their TB is port and polished. I removed mine awhile back, but my gas mileage was horrible and it idled all over the place.

But if you want to be safe you can cut that in half and have the hot wire part of the MAF covered with that.

Comment

theyre all finicky without the screen, you might be alright if you had hp tuners to massage it.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
        1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The reason Firebirds have a drivability problem when the screen is removed whereas Camaros typically do not is the difference in induction systems.

The FB's has a bend in it whereas the Camaro's is generally straight.

The type of MAF sensor used in a 3.8TB has to have a laminar flow to work right.

The bend in the FB's induction creates turbulence their TBs need the flow straightener to smooth the flow before it gets to the MAF.

Anyone who thinks they can "tune" out the effect of turbulence after removing the screen is misguided. Even good tuning can't violate the laws of physics.

Comment

Mine ran fine without the screen, but you could see the erratic movement of the MAF at idle and low throttle/speeds. I put it back in, everything calmed back down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X