Tom Henry RS Project Finale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Henry RS Project Finale

Part Six–the final part–of the Tom Henry RS Project, street-high-performance buid-up of a 2001 Camaro with the 3.8, has been posted at the Camaro Homepage.

Please see:
    http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part6/index.htmhttp://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part6/index.htm

Re: Tom Henry RS Project Finale

Very clean set up. Very interesting read. I'm digging those seats. Will this article come out of a Camaro Mag? Nice NA #'s there too. I still have that issue.

Comment

Those seats, mmmmm.
      Great work and love that power.
      sigpic
      98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
        Very clean set up. Very interesting read. I'm digging those seats. Will this article come out of a Camaro Mag? Nice NA #'s there too. I still have that issue.
        Actually, all those THRS articles were based on a series that ran in "Camaro Performers" in '06 and '07.

For the Camaro Homepage version of the build, I took those articles, add a lot more detail along with some new content and posted them to the CHpg.

A print magazine would be unwilling to publish the long versions because of their lengths.

The seats can be found at http://procarbyscat.com/seat/80-1600-61lhttp://procarbyscat.com/seat/80-1600-61l

Glad you liked the article.

Comment

Nice setup!
          <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Nice clean setup, but those 1/4 times are terrible. Granted, you used a machine, I would like to think the machine is highly inaccurate (despite your mention that it is) I'd really like to see what this car does real world at the strip.

13.65 for a fully built and 85 shot Camaro is not good. Not bashing, just not understanding why it is so bad with what is done, which is why I would like to see a real world pass. I am sure you'd run faster than that...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I agree. In the ¼-mile the car sucks.

It has lousy 60-ft times. The torque curve down low and crappy traction makes either wheel spin or bog and only a very narrow RPM "grey area" that gets a decent launch. With nitrous, I can't squeeze in first gear otherwise it blows the tires away. So I leave and hit the bottle just as I shift to second by the time the system enables, the shift is done and the car stays hooked in second.

Also, the e.t. posted for the nitrous tests is wrong. I forgot to subtract .3-sec for the roll out you get at a race track but that you don't have with absolute timing. I'll have to fix that in the article.

I think if I was using a lower axle ratio, better tires and was testing on a drag strip with decent traction I'd have done better.

To be a good drag racer, that car needs 3.42s or 3.73s and some drag radials–and not 275/40s but 315/35s.

Since I moved my shop away from the Los Angeles area, I have no drag strip to test on anymore. All those times were run on the street. Finding a place near my shop which is reasonably level, long enough to do a quarter and slow down and has light traffic is difficult. The place I'm testing (always the same exact stretch of road) lacks the traction one might find on a drag strip.

So...I got ****loads of excuses but yeah, the times suck.

Comment

Have you tried playing with the suspension any? adjusting the pinion angle etc to get the car to bite better?

My LS still bites pretty good on 275/40R18's street tires with 3.73 gears and a 3600 stall. I mean it shreds the rubber, but not really excessive.

Like I said, not trashing the build, just shocked at the times vs work put in.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

The rear suspension is all Global West except the shocks which are double-adjustable QA1s. Special torque arm, special lower arms, relocated pick-up points on the axle. All that was in Pt5 and was huge in getting the car to really bite coming off turns.

The problem with e.t. is not the suspension, it's axle ratio, tires and lack of traction where I test.

I know it runs bad-assed...other than off the line.

Couple years ago up in the mountains north of L.A. on the "locally-famous" Angeles Crest Hwy, me and my photo assistant raced a guy in a GTO and beat his ***. He could gain a little on longer straights, but we'd leave him in sections of short straights linked by turns. After about 8-mi of that, my oil temp was up about 280 so we pulled over figuring he'd stop to BS a bit but he just blew by us. Probably better that way, the guy would have probably been crushed to find out his six-liter had been roasted by a V6.

To be honest, I've been working on the car for 10 years. It's been in three different car magazines since 2003 and on the Camaro Homepage web site. I'm a little burned out. I know I could get the car quicker if I put some more effort/money into it, but...at this point, I want to enjoy it as my DD. I also want to move on to some other projects. I got a 600-hp Big-Block Chevy to build this Winter and I have an LS7 to which I'm going to do an intake manifold change and add a CAI.

I think I want to get the Camaro out of my hair for a while.

Maybe I'll come back to it in the future. One thing I'd like to do is put a six-speed manual in it. Also, the short block is stock and never been touched. If I ever did do the six-speed conversion, by then a lower-end refresh might be a good idea. Maybe forged pistons and a better connecting rod as well as new rings and bearings. Perhaps a little more camshaft, too.

Comment

Do you know what size metering orifice was in the nitrous nozzle to be called a 75 shot?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      Do you know what size metering orifice was in the nitrous nozzle to be called a 75 shot?
                      I can't remember which jet I have in there.

In the morning I'll get it out and check it then post.

Comment

Nice wrap up on the Camaro.
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Time to build a 5 Gen V6;)

Comment

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
                            Time to build a 5 Gen V6;)
                            Oh man, wouldn't that be a cool engine to put in a 4th Gen Camaro!

Comment

Hib, how do you pass Calif. emission test?

With the cam, heads ported, and other mods you have would cause you to fail the sniffer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X