My first 4th gen Camaro! What should I look for? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first 4th gen Camaro! What should I look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first 4th gen Camaro! What should I look for?

Hello!

My first post here, howdy! Although I've owned several Camaros and Firebirds, and LOTS of other GM cars and trucks over the years, this is my first 4th gen F-body. I'm picking up a 1994 Camaro, non-T-tops, with a 3.4 and a 5 speed. I'm going to autocross it - I'm sure it's not the perfect platform for it, but I just can't get my heart into Neons, Miatas or Bimmers. Gotta be GM. I'm going to see it Sunday, if all goes well, I'll be giving it a new home. So my first post - what are important structural things to look for with these guys? For example - 1978 and up 'metric' G-bodies were notorious for rusty rear frame rails (here in PA, land of the 'tin worm'). Frames cracking around the steering box on 73-87 GM trucks, K-members rusting out on Cavalier/Sunfires - stuff like that. I'll be looking the car over carefully, but like with the Cavaliers - I wouldn't expect K-members to go so bad, but I hear that was a big problem with 'em. So mainly, just structural bad spots are what I'm looking for now, but any advice on looking over these cars is greatly appreciated. I'm looking forward to playing with (it's all fun and games until the credit card bills start rolling in!) my new toy, posting and learning from you guys and gals. Thanks in advance!!

Re: My first 4th gen Camaro! What should I look for?

The 4th Gens a good platform for autox,lots of aftermarket suspension bits available.

Wheel well rust and chassis rust(floorpan) are the biggies also the front shock/strut towers.

I never hear of the K member going bad lots of surface rust but its a pretty stout piece.

Lots of guys swap in aftermarket K's for weight savings.

Have fun and good luck.

Comment

Thanks, Tom! Yeah, the owner said there were a couple of spots on the floorboard, I'll be checkin' them over carefully. And apparently, front wheel drive cars are more susceptible to the k-member rust-out than RWDs, but it still surprises me - hey, you learn sumthin' new every day! Thanks again, looking forward to having fun with my new car - who knows, might even surprise a few V8s?!

Comment

I remember a couple of guys in the 90's doing NASA, Autocross and such with 3.4 Camaros and they did very well.

4th gens are not really known for rust, but I would look at the bushings, but ofcourse you'd probably upgrade this anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
          I remember a couple of guys in the 90's doing NASA, Autocross and such with 3.4 Camaros and they did very well.

4th gens are not really known for rust, but I would look at the bushings, but ofcourse you'd probably upgrade this anyway.

Up our way they are:(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X