Car Starts And Dies After 5 Seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Starts And Dies After 5 Seconds

I'm at a loss and need an opinion. I replaced the fuel pump module because it was not holding pressure. Also replaced fuel pressure regulator. Now it is holding pressure of about 48 pounds. Problem is the car starts and runs about 5 seconds or so and then shuts off. It will always start and do this. It sometimes shows a P0102 MAF code. One time it had this code when it was running OK and when I reset the code it started doing this. After a few attempts it started to run but now is doing this again. That's why I changed the pump. I'm thinking there might be a problem with the PCM. Seems like something is sending a signal to shut off the injectors. I have a new oil pressure switch and it registers pressure so it's not that shutting the car down.
    MAF sensor was replaced.

THANK YOU

1996 Camaro RS 3.8

Re: Car Starts And Dies After 5 Seconds

Sounds more like vats. Vats turns off the fuel pump so the 5 second run time might be the 48 pounds of pressure running down but most vats failures won't spin the starter. 4 questions, Is your security light blinking? Have you deleted the vats yet? Are you still getting the po102 maf code after the replacement? Was the maf brand new and not rebuilt?

Comment

The VATS has not been disabled. The solid security light is on but not flashing. It was that way when I bought the car and was never a problem. The MAF I installed was rebuilt. The start issue began when I reset the P0102 code with my scanner. I wonder if I damaged the PCM?

One more thing. I measured the continuity between the MAF connector ground terminal and the engine. It had continuity so is good I guess.

However, I did the same with the positive terminal of the MAF connector and also got continuity to ground. This doesn't seem right to me. Doesn't this sound like a short? I wouldn't expect continuity from positive to ground. I think this would play hell with how the PCM would read and control the injectors. The continuity tests were done with the PCM out of the car and the neg battery terminal disconnected.

Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by snowmoman; 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Starting and shutting down after 5 seconds is a VATS issue.

Comment

Definitely try the VATS.

I'm going to suggest something off the wall, but is your battery older than 5 years? Try cleaning the connectors and ground with a wirebrush. Sometimes this can be overlooked.

Again this is just a suggestion.

Comment

Battery is only 2 years old and connections look good. If it is the VATS I'm confused because the car has been driven about 20,000 miles with the security light on.

So if it is VATS what should be my first step? I've always heard that with a vats issue the car wouldn't even crank. It starts up fine. So where do I go from here?

Comment

When the VATS engages it kills the injectors so the car will start and then die. The easiest way to get around it is to have it tuned out of the PCM.

Comment

I came across this on Ebay. Has anyone tried it? It's cheap and sounds too good to be true but I'm tempted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vats-Passkey...cfb221&vxp=mtr

Comment

VATS controls injector pulse and starter so yes it can be intermittent when attempting to start. I've never done it but bypassing it might be your best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by snowmoman View Post
                    I came across this on Ebay. Has anyone tried it? It's cheap and sounds too good to be true but I'm tempted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vats-Passkey...cfb221&vxp=mtr

Yes. That is the exact chip that I use in my car. It works perfectly. I've had it installed for several years with no issues.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I will try the chip. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

I don't remember exactly as I installed the chip several years ago, but I also had to bypass the VATS on the neutral safety switch. I found a write up online and it was very easy. I believe I found the write up on Shbox.com.

Comment

For the NSS, no parts were needed. Just a wiring mod.

Comment

Good news guys! It turned out not to be VATS this time. I put a 95 Camaro PCM in today because I had a nagging feeling it might be bad and it worked like a charm. Smoked pretty bad until it started adjusting and I have to road test it to check the shift points but I am happy. I suspected the PCM because my problems started when I pulled the P0102 code and reset it with my cheap scanner. That's when the problems began so I suspect the scanner somehow damaged the PCM but I'll never know for sure. I was afraid it wouldn't work until it was re-programmed but it did. I really appreciate all of you trying to help me. Feel like I made some new friends.

Comment

Hey that's awesome.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X